• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cp3k

So my girlfriend was dating this guy before me. The break up was pretty ugly and he made things really difficult for her. We recently just found out that he still had her Apple ID logged in on his laptop and had been reading all of her personal conversations for the past 10 months. Is there anything that we can do about this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So my girlfriend was dating this guy before me. The break up was pretty ugly and he made things really difficult for her. We recently just found out that he still had her Apple ID logged in on his laptop and had been reading all of her personal conversations for the past 10 months. Is there anything that we can do about this?
She should log out any other users and change her password.

Cp3k

Sorry, should’ve mentioned the password has been changed and the account has been logged out on all devices. Just wanted to know if there’s anything that can be done legally. I mean because of the massive invasion of privacy for the past 10 months

Zigner

Sorry, should’ve mentioned the password has been changed and the account has been logged out on all devices. Just wanted to know if there’s anything that can be done legally. I mean because of the massive invasion of privacy for the past 10 months
There is no evidence that any privacy was invaded.

PayrollHRGuy

If she had given him the password at some point there is little that can ever be done unless he commits a crime like identity theft.

Zigner

If she had given him the password at some point there is little that can ever be done unless he commits a crime like identity theft.
Actually, it's illegal to exceed the scope of one's authorization. Of course, you are correct that if something doesn't happen, then there's no proof of any crime.

PayrollHRGuy

Actually, it's illegal to exceed the scope of one's authorization. Of course, you are correct that if something doesn't happen, then there's no proof of any crime.

Yes and I'm sure that the young lady in question has excellent documentation of what she gave the ex permission to do with her password. :cool:

Zigner

Yes and I'm sure that the young lady in question has excellent documentation of what she gave the ex permission to do with her password. :cool:
If it's just a matter of leaving a computer logged in (as implied in this thread), then no password was ever "given".

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I don't think that there is, unless he uses her information, and even then, that would be dependent on how he uses it.

For example, if he used information he had access to engage in identity theft, that would be something that could be addressed. The level of identity theft, and the degree of malice could be a factor, as would what, if any, monetary damages there were.

If there happen to be photos of either of you in *ahem* a compromising way and he starts sharing them, that would be something that could be addressed. Depending on... how compromising.

If he's considering reposting things that would merely be socially awkward for your gf, then she just has to weather that storm.

If, having this avenue cut off, he goes on to actively stalking, that's another story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">