• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to get divorced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Illinoisbugger6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

About a year ago, little less, my wife and I got separated and she filed for divorce, and she hired a lawyer. Well since then we got back together. Now, I'm tired of her lies and I finally filed for divorce myself. Come to find out she did not pay her lawyer, so they want a motion from her lawyer so we can get divorced.

I did NOT hire this lawyer! She did and when we got separated. Is there anything I can do on my behalf? I want to get divorced, how would I go about it?

FlyingRon

Who is they? What sort of "motion" are they asking for? Are we talking about your current lawyer? Why don't you ask them?

Alas, when her lawyer from the previous action is likely a marital debt since you never actually divorced.

Illinoisbugger6

Trying To Get Divorced

They is the courthouse.

Motion to withdraw counsel

I do not have a current lawyer, I am going pro-bono, via illinoislegalaid.com

LdiJ

They is the courthouse.

Motion to withdraw counsel

I do not have a current lawyer, I am going pro-bono, via illinoislegalaid.com
If you are filing for divorce yourself, why would you need a motion to withdraw counsel? That makes absolutely no sense.

Illinoisbugger6

Because she did not pay her lawyer when we got separated. This is what the courthouse told me. I'm just looking for answers. And she isn't the one filing, I am the one filing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you are filing for divorce yourself, why would you need a motion to withdraw counsel? That makes absolutely no sense.
There is still an open case on the same matter that wife filed. The OP can't file a new case about this matter, rather, he'd have to file as the respondent in the original case.

Zigner

I do not have an attorney, I am pro-bono
The phrase you are looking for is "pro se" or "in pro per".

You are going to need to get the guidance of an attorney on this matter. Drafting of legal documents is beyond the scope of this forum.

LdiJ

There is still an open case on the same matter that wife filed. The OP can't file a new case about this matter, rather, he'd have to file as the respondent in the original case.
I still do not see why he would need her attorney to withdraw in order to proceed with the divorce. Wouldn't that be her problem rather than his?

Zigner

I still do not see why he would need her attorney to withdraw in order to proceed with the divorce. Wouldn't that be her problem rather than his?
Yes. It would be.
I agree that it's odd, but it seems to be what the court is requiring, at least as far as the OP understands. The OP is going to need an attorney to assist him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">