• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a wife entitled to financially in a divorce, even if nothing is in her name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweeterpea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MARYLAND

My friend, who we'll call 'Susie', was in an abusive marriage with 'John' for 12 years, had two children with him, and has been separated for 2 years now and is ready to proceed with divorce. During the time they were together, John purchased a house, with only his name on the deed. Here's where it gets really screwy: John NEVER lived in the house, NOR paid the mortgage. Susie's brother and sister-in-law were the occupants and have been paying the mortgage from the get-go. When Susie and John separated two years ago, Susie moved into the house and part of the time she was living there for free, and for a period of time she was renting a room. We find out John just sold the house last month out from under Susie's brother sister-in-law. When Susie files for divorce, is she entitled to any of the money made from the sale of the house, or any other source of compensation? Also, I found the property on MD Dept of Assessments Taxation, but in Transfer Information it lists the sale price as $0 so not sure what that means and how that will play a part in the event she wants to pursue getting half of the money. Thx!

LdiJ

My friend, who we'll call 'Susie', was in an abusive marriage with 'John' for 12 years, had two children with him, and has been separated for 2 years now and is ready to proceed with divorce. During the time they were together, John purchased a house, with only his name on the deed. Here's where it gets really screwy: John NEVER lived in the house, NOR paid the mortgage. Susie's brother and sister-in-law were the occupants and have been paying the mortgage from the get-go. When Susie and John separated two years ago, Susie moved into the house and part of the time she was living there for free, and for a period of time she was renting a room. We find out John just sold the house last month out from under Susie's brother sister-in-law. When Susie files for divorce, is she entitled to any of the money made from the sale of the house, or any other source of compensation? Also, I found the property on MD Dept of Assessments Taxation, but in Transfer Information it lists the sale price as $0 so not sure what that means and how that will play a part in the event she wants to pursue getting half of the money. Thx!
It may be that John wasn't paying the property taxes and the property was sold at an auction for the back taxes. Or, it could be something else. It looks like some research needs to be done.

sweeterpea

It may be that John wasn't paying the property taxes and the property was sold at an auction for the back taxes. Or, it could be something else. It looks like some research needs to be done.
Thank you for your prompt reply! The Tax & Assessment document states Owner Name: "...Land Trust" and mailing address is a woman's name and business address. There is a court date between the occupants (Susie's family) but I don't know who is on the opposing side or what exactly what they are summoned to court for. Regardless, if John DID make money on the sale of the house, is Susie eligible for half of it even though her name is not on the deed?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you for your prompt reply! The Tax & Assessment document states Owner Name: "...Land Trust" and mailing address is a woman's name and business address. There is a court date between the occupants (Susie's family) but I don't know who is on the opposing side or what exactly what they are summoned to court for. Regardless, if John DID make money on the sale of the house, is Susie eligible for half of it even though her name is not on the deed?
If bought during the marriage it was marital property. How do you know John doesn't own the "Land Trust" even if the mailing address is to someone else?

HRZ

"Susie" needs competent counsel darn soon...moving of assets and dissipation of same may be darn hard in terms of getting ones share of marital property if it's "gone" or well hidden.

sweeterpea

If bought during the marriage it was marital property. How do you know John doesn't own the "Land Trust" even if the mailing address is to someone else?
It WAS bought during the marriage so I take it you're saying she IS entitled to some of the $$$ even though her name is not on the deed. As far as the trust, I can say 100%, but knowing what I know of him, I'm 99.9% sure he doesn't own it. What does a home being sold to a "Land Trust" even mean???

PS - by the way, I'm an Ohio girl too ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It WAS bought during the marriage so I take it you're saying she IS entitled to some of the $$$ even though her name is not on the deed. As far as the trust, I can say 100%, but knowing what I know of him, I'm 99.9% sure he doesn't own it. What does a home being sold to a "Land Trust" even mean???

PS - by the way, I'm an Ohio girl too ;)
I am an Ohio Attorney and Guardian Ad Litem (GAL):D

Just Blue

Px Hx****************************......

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Liar try to realize that no one bullied you. I tried to help you until you posted lies. So basically you are to blame for the fact you were called out. Try to grow up and not be a liar in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">