• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully prepared Quit Claim Deed of marital house in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davidj3000

FLORIDA

Received a letter from a Title Company requesting me to review and sign a copy of a Quick Claim deed that had the wrong verbiage regarding my marital status at the time of transferring title of the marital house. This was done over 10 years ago. They advise that because Florida is a Homestead state that my marital status which was recorded as "Former Husband" but should have been recorded as "A Married Man or Single Man".

My question is am I required to correct their error and sign? Or do I have any leverage to contest this?

DJ

FlyingRon

There's no such thing as "quick claim." The word is "QUIT."

The characterization of your marital status is parenthetical (i.e., it means nothing in the conveyance).

The only thing that matters is what the deed claims to convey and that you signed it. You can sign an amended grant or not but you're unlike to "get" anything from it.

LdiJ

There's no such thing as "quick claim." The word is "QUIT."

The characterization of your marital status is parenthetical (i.e., it means nothing in the conveyance).

The only thing that matters is what the deed claims to convey and that you signed it. You can sign an amended grant or not but you're unlike to "get" anything from it.
And...if you have to be taken to court to sign off on something that you are legally obligated to sign off on you could end up having to pay the other party's legal fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">