• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment by biological "father"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb0850

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

If a father gave up their rights to a child by giving them up for adoption to their new father but is constantly harassing the kid (who is now an adult age 26) what steps can the person take to get them to stop? I tried to get the restraining order but he got a lawyer last minute. Since court he keeps sending me mail talking bad about my mom and putting me down. He told the judge he understands to leave me alone but obviously he didn't get it. I just want to get the guy to buzz off and leave me alone. Might I add, I have never responded to any of mail...

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

If a father gave up their rights to a child by giving them up for adoption to their new father but is constantly harassing the kid (who is now an adult age 26) what steps can the person take to get them to stop? I tried to get the restraining order but he got a lawyer last minute. Since court he keeps sending me mail talking bad about my mom and putting me down. He told the judge he understands to leave me alone but obviously he didn't get it. I just want to get the guy to buzz off and leave me alone. Might I add, I have never responded to any of mail...

MORE homework? :rolleyes:

mb0850

I was trying to get a restraining order on him but last minute he hired an attorney. I didn't know until the day before. If I knew I would've been more prepared. I don't know if I should try again with the restraining order...my professor said it might be a criminal issue since he's using the USPS as a way of harassment.

Proserpina

I was trying to get a restraining order on him but last minute he hired an attorney. I didn't know until the day before. If I knew I would've been more prepared. I don't know if I should try again with the restraining order...my professor said it might be a criminal issue since he's using the USPS as a way of harassment.

What exactly did his attorney manage to do?

mb0850

Managed to avoid the restraining order on him. She basically said everything I'm saying is "hearsay" and that he is not a violent person, etc. The judge asked if there were anything threathning is his mail. I said no but he constantly puts my mom down calling her names and everyday I'm getting loads of mail from him after me telling him to reportedly stop. He keeps sending me fake court documents from the 80's that he altered. I have the actual ones. I feel like it's a custody battle 22(23) years later. It's done. I could care less what happened when I was a kid...

Last edited:

mb0850

By the way, I found out that August of 2010 he was charged with 4th degree assult. He keeps sending me checks for $10k to get me to talk to him. He also lives in Washington State.

Proserpina

Managed to avoid the restraining order on him. She basically said everything I'm saying is "hearsay" and that he is not a violent person, etc. The judge asked if there were anything threathning is his mail. I said no but he constantly puts my mom down calling her names and everyday I'm getting loads of mail from him after me telling him to reportedly stop. He keeps sending me fake court documents from the 80's that he altered. I have the actual ones. I feel like it's a custody battle 22(23) years later. It's done. I could care less what happened when I was a kid...

Here's the thing. You're an adult now. You can absolutely choose who you do and don't want to associate with. You're under absolutely no obligation to even entertain this person's existence.

You can change your number, change your email address, the whole she-bang. IF he continues to harass you, then you file in WA state for a restraining order. You can use the following flow-chart to figure out your best course of action.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/documents/What PO to File.pdf

But even better? Hire an attorney. Discuss your options.

mb0850

The only thing he has is my home adress. Luckily I live in a gated neighborhood haha. So you're saying even though I live in CA I should file it in WA? I'm debating on getting an attorney, I just want to wait til finals are over. Law school is tedious and this is the last thing I need to deal with.. -_-

CdwJava

If he calls and emails against your wishes, report it to the police as a violation of PC 653m - annoying and harassing communications.

If it is emails, block him. If it is phone calls or texts, save the messages and do not answer the phone - let him hang himself.

mb0850

No, he doesn't have my email or phone number. Again, he is only sending me things through the post office. I'm receiving nothing but annoying mail from him in my mailbox. It's been a year now, if you saw the stacks of letters and cards you'd be as shocked as everyone else. He also has my picture on his shirt and sends me pictures of him wearing it places then on the back writes a bunh crap, for exapmle, he likes to end saying "You have a cold heart and a closed mind, regardless I love you.." Makes no sense huh? Can I go nto the police and slap on their desk all the harrasing mail from him?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm receiving nothing but annoying mail from him in my mailbox.
And $10,000 checks. Tell you what... I will send you my address. You can have him send me the checks, and I will talk to him any time he wants. Deal?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Tell ya what, misto... I'm not greedy. How about we split the checks, and take turns talking to the dad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">