• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get someone committed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wallysurfr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I have a family member who is verbally and mentally abusive. He has bipolar and a very bad temper. I want to know what my best bet is to get him the help he needs. He refuses to go to a doctor for medicine or to even admit that there is a problem at all.

He is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict (15 years) and currently has an addiction to gambling (has lost everything). He has attacked me within the past three weeks and threatened to kill me and I have witnesses. He has also threatened my mother in the same manner and threatened to start drinking again and threatened to committ suicide.

We are planning an intervention but we know that he will probably attack someone at the intervention so is there anyway to have the police on hand? I don't want him to go to jail but that is where he will end up if things continue and that won't help as much as an institution. Is there anyway to have him committed against his will? he well over 18 years old.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am very concerned for the life of my brother.

Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Try calling a local psychiatric unit and ask for their procedures on committing someone who may be a danger to themself or others. GO to court and prove that he is a danger to himself and others. Get a court order committing him. If he gets arrested, ask that the court commit him in lieu of prison.

Wallysurfr

Thanks ohiogal!

that sounds better than the plan i had which was let him attack me again and then get him locked up.

I'd be willing to take a beating for him to get help.

PJ Weber

For 'involuntary hospitalization' one of the following criteria need to be met--

1) Danger to self - suicide risk

2) Danger to others - homicide risk

3) Greviously disabled - unable to care for self on a day to day basis

The police will evaluate the situation, they can write the order if one
is met

The hospitalization is time specific. If one of the criteria is met the initial
time spent 'inside' can be up to 72 hrs, if the patient no longer meets the
criteria they are released

If the patient still meets criteria a hold of two weeks extra can be instituted.
If the patient disagrees with the further two weeks a competency hearing will
be held in court. If the patient proves his case the hold is vacated, if not he stays

Isis1

Thanks ohiogal!

that sounds better than the plan i had which was let him attack me again and then get him locked up.

I'd be willing to take a beating for him to get help.
please don't ever do this. it could get you killed. or anyone else who might have that idea cross their head.

PJ Weber

He has attacked me within the past three weeks and threatened to kill me and I have witnesses. He has also threatened my mother in the same manner and threatened to start drinking again and threatened to committ suicide.
Have you notified the PD of these incidents?

These are strong indicators

Brumby

Further Advice needed

I have recently moved to the USA to be with my fiance. The problem is.. he shares a house with his ex girlfriend due to the lease not being up.

She refuses to accept their relationship is over, is a diabetic who constantly overdoses on sugar, and just 'goes off', hitting him, abusing me, threatening to smash his personal belongings, threatens to assault myself. She often will drink then drive off in the car.. threaten suicide or threaten to call the Police on us for 'being in the house'. These fights go on for hours at a time and nothing can be said to calm her or to get her to talk rationally.

It gets to to the point where we are too scared to sleep incase she starts smashing things or us in our sleep.

I am a Legal Assistant from another country so am not altogether aware of the Laws in California on whether to call the Police when she is having an 'episode' and request they commit her. My previous experience in calling Police in a similar situation in another Country did not help... the Police were not prepared to get involved in a 'family situation' and would rather have me pack my bags and leave my home even though I was the victim of the verbal attacks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">