• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to Extend an Injunction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IamtheCram

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? The case is in Florida. I am now in Georgia.

Lets start at the beginning, everything was perfect until it wasn't, in a way that logic doesnt apply. My girlfirend and I lived together for 2 years in FL and worked for the same company. Our boss started A LOT of trouble between us to the point of it ending our relationship in a very bad way, in a matter of days. In the midst of me packing all of my belongings, Thanksgiving week 2017, I get served with an injunction. In her statement she clearly says, "He is not a violent person, he has no history of violence, there was never any violence in our relationship, or threats of violence." The injunction was still granted because she went on to say she fears for her life, with no basis. I was forced to resign my job and moved to Atlanta, the day after Thanksgiving. On December 5th, 2017 we have our hearing, it was a phone hearing for me, where I proved her wrong at every turn. Still then, the Judge kept the injunction in place until Feb., 5th, 2018, I'm fine with that. He also appointed a former sheriffs deputy and mutual friend of ours to be the middle man. He went to her house, retrieved all of my belogings, and is storing them for me. Before the injunction was filed she removed all of my firearms from the house and gave them to ???, after our friend retrieved my belongings I asked if he got my firearms, he said she didnt have them and that she hasnt surrendered them to the sheriff either. I call a lawyer, he says that is felony grand theft in the state of florida, regardless of circumstances. I pass that info onto my friend who then tells the ex she needs to get them to the sheriff. Fast foward to yesterday, everything is peachy and Ive moved on. I'm 400 miles away, great new job, and I have done everything the Judge asked me to EXACTLY. I check my email and i see an e-service from the court regarding my case. My ex has filed a motion to extend the injunction. I have no idea how this makes sense to a Judge. I have in no way, shape, or form been in contact with her, other than through the court appointed middle man. I have not been in the state of florida, much less the county. By all means, i thought this was over and done with. I was moving on, apparently she isnt. Ive already filed a request for a phone hearing becasue of the distance issue but, what else do i need to file? Ive never been in court before in my life until last month. Also, the clerk never changed my address, even after i sent a designation of address last month, i found out today. With that, the papers I need to see what shes trying to base it on this time, have not made it to me. Any help is appreciated.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need to file a police report regarding your missing firearms. NOW. With the police in Florida.

IamtheCram

Again, I've never been in any trouble. So I wasn't sure if this second hearing would be any different. I submitted my request for a phone hearing this morning, with the sheer distance and new employment as my reasoning. The amount of money I would lose from missing 2-3 days of work is outrageous, that's beside the point. So, this hearing is no different than the first, correct? Factual and emotionless. Hammer home the fact that I'm moving on and thought this nonsense was over with. Oh, question, if I can't have any contact with her, by any means, how am I supposed to follow procedure and serve the documents to her that I'm submitting? That is probably a dumb newb question to you but, again, I've never stepped foot in a court room.

quincy

Again, I've never been in any trouble. So I wasn't sure if this second hearing would be any different. I submitted my request for a phone hearing this morning, with the sheer distance and new employment as my reasoning. The amount of money I would lose from missing 2-3 days of work is outrageous, that's beside the point. So, this hearing is no different than the first, correct? Factual and emotionless. Hammer home the fact that I'm moving on and thought this nonsense was over with. Oh, question, if I can't have any contact with her, by any means, how am I supposed to follow procedure and serve the documents to her that I'm submitting? That is probably a dumb newb question to you but, again, I've never stepped foot in a court room.
I think the previous advice to you was to have an attorney assist you?

You will not be serving her personally.

(Thanks for the friend request, IamtheCram. It is my policy on this site not to accept them, but the offer is appreciated.)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For clarification for the OP: You will want to hire a process server to serve her any documents. Theoretically you could have a "friend" of yours do it, but you run the risk of her claiming that you are using it as a pretense to have third-party contact with her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">