• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdhohio

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm not sure this is the right section to post this so please advise me if there is somewhere more appropriate.

I am writing to ask a question for my daughter. Is there a way to stop fictious reports that are being made against her to Childrens Services?

History: My daughter has a 5 month old Daughter. She is married to the biological Father. For the last 2 months she has had a visit from CPS at least once a week and sometimes twice a week. The CPS worker says they are checking up on an anonymous call for anything from: unhealthy and unsafe living conditions to neglect (physical and medical), abuse (physical and sexual). The workers have never found anything wrong.

This is getting really old. The baby is seen by her Dr. regularly and my daughter has encouraged them to speak with Dr. The workers say their hands are tyed. They are required by law to follow up on the call. They have stated they can not release the name of the caller even if they know it. It is to the point my daughter just tells them "See ya next week." When they leave. They appear to be as tired of it as she is. They don't even check anything anymore. They just hold and coo to the baby.

My daughter is 99.9% sure it is her Mother-In-Law calling because it started right after she refused them unsupervised visits with the baby, but she has no legal proof.

When does this step over the line into harassment? Does she ever have the right to face her accuser in this type of situation? Doesn't CPS have anything in place to keep them from being used as a tool in a family battle? Something like filing a false police report? I'm sure there is some child in this county who is need of their services while they are being bogged down with this mess.

Thank you for any help you can give me in making this go away.

CLBKLCDTB

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm not sure this is the right section to post this so please advise me if there is somewhere more appropriate.

I am writing to ask a question for my daughter. Is there a way to stop fictious reports that are being made against her to Childrens Services?

History: My daughter has a 5 month old Daughter. She is married to the biological Father. For the last 2 months she has had a visit from CPS at least once a week and sometimes twice a week. The CPS worker says they are checking up on an anonymous call for anything from: unhealthy and unsafe living conditions to neglect (physical and medical), abuse (physical and sexual). The workers have never found anything wrong.

This is getting really old. The baby is seen by her Dr. regularly and my daughter has encouraged them to speak with Dr. The workers say their hands are tyed. They are required by law to follow up on the call. They have stated they can not release the name of the caller even if they know it. It is to the point my daughter just tells them "See ya next week." When they leave. They appear to be as tired of it as she is. They don't even check anything anymore. They just hold and coo to the baby.

My daughter is 99.9% sure it is her Mother-In-Law calling because it started right after she refused them unsupervised visits with the baby, but she has no legal proof.

When does this step over the line into harassment? Does she ever have the right to face her accuser in this type of situation? Doesn't CPS have anything in place to keep them from being used as a tool in a family battle? Something like filing a false police report? I'm sure there is some child in this county who is need of their services while they are being bogged down with this mess.

Thank you for any help you can give me in making this go away.

CPS investagations usually take up to 90 days. After that 90 days your daughter will get a letter giving her the finding. It will state wether she is "indicated" for abuse or the alligations were "unfounded".

That letter will also give her information on how to write to the child abuse and maletreatment office in your state. In doing so the information sent back to your daughter will give all written findings of the investigation.

If there is an idication of abuse her name would be filed at the state child abuse and maletreatment center.
If "unfounded" your daughter will not be under any futher investigation.

CPS sees alot of reports like this when there is custody and visitation going on. Like the worker said, It is a process.

Tell your daughter to keep doing the best she can and cooperate. Refusing to cooperate will only hurt her.

kdhohio

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. My daughter has already received the letters for the first 7 visits. All they say is they responded due to report from an anonymous caller and that the allegations were unfounded. She has even told the CPS worker there is no need to continue sending her these letters. She only needs to be notified if they feel there is a problem.

She does cooperate fully with CPS when they visit. She has no problem with them and understands they are doing their job. She has actually become quite friendly with the two workers who show up. Her problem is with the continued anonmity of this caller being able to harass her through CPS. She knows that even if they show up everyday their finding will continue to be unfounded.

Her questions are: Is there anyway to make this stop? Is there any legal course she can take to find out who is making these calls or is she stuck with weekly and biweekly visitors until this person chooses to give up?

kdhohio

thanks Mo :)

LOL Ginny...I guess that is true. We just wish the woman would quit. Her own son was the one who stated she couldn't have the baby unsupervised.

CPS should be able to tell the caller...when you see the house filthy..stay there and call us we'll be right over. Or hold the bruised baby and call the police let them make a report they seen it.

Thanks for the reply :)

LdiJ

No and no.
I personally know of one person in my state, Indiana, who was convicted of a felony for making repeated false accusations to CPS. However, she also gave CPS her name when she made the accusations, so she was identified. If someone is making the accusations anonymously, even to CPS....then who knows.

quincy

This sounds like a defamation case, as well, if the identity of the anonymous caller is ever revealed.

kdhohio

That seems to be the problem. CPS says the calls are being made anonymously. The workers are becoming very frustrated as well with the situation. Maybe after a certain point they will become more active in finding out who is using them fraudulently. Seems to me CPS would have at least caller ID so they could respond to the caller. We will just have to wait and see.

CJane

I personally know of one person in my state, Indiana, who was convicted of a felony for making repeated false accusations to CPS. However, she also gave CPS her name when she made the accusations, so she was identified. If someone is making the accusations anonymously, even to CPS....then who knows.
In my case, the investigator told me that if I felt I was being harassed, that I needed to contact the prosecutor's office and that the prosecutor will obtain tapes of all of the calls to CPS regarding me (they keep them for 3 years) and EVERY CALL is recorded. I will then be allowed to listen to the calls to determine if I recognize the caller's voice. If I do, the prosecutor will pursue both criminal harassment charges AND the felony charge of false reports of abuse.

kdhohio

Ohhhh excellent idea CJane!!! I will have her mention this to the investigators when they visit her next week. :rolleyes: That maybe a great option open to her.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

CLBKLCDTB

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. My daughter has already received the letters for the first 7 visits. All they say is they responded due to report from an anonymous caller and that the allegations were unfounded. She has even told the CPS worker there is no need to continue sending her these letters. She only needs to be notified if they feel there is a problem.

She does want these letters. Tell her they are important to show all investigations are unfounded. If it ever went to court, she can give them all to a lawyer.

kdhohio

Sheesh...I didn't even think of that...thanks CLBKLCDTB.....not used to covering butts. My mother always complained I didn't document enough....shhh we won't tell her she was right tho :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">