• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Confused530

California. My xboyfriend is in jail for assault with a deadly weapon on me. I was tresspassing and he fired a shot to get me to leave. I was technically a tessspasser. But they stressed him with 2 felony charges and issues a restraining order. I did not need one. He would not have harmed me. How long will this order last?

Eekamouse

California. My xboyfriend is in jail for assault with a deadly weapon on me. I was tresspassing and he fired a shot to get me to leave. I was technically a tessspasser. But they stressed him with 2 felony charges and issues a restraining order. I did not need one. He would not have harmed me. How long will this order last?
I imagine until he improves his aim.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
So you believe that a reasonable response to trespassing is for him to shoot at you?!!!! Not call the police. Not ignore you. But to FIRE A WEAPON AT YOU. Do you understand how serious this is? You DO need a restraining order. And therapy.

CdwJava

If you did not seek a TRO through the Court, then it is a Criminal Protective Order put in place by the court at it's own initiative or upon the request of the DA. The order will last for the duration of the court process. If convicted, chances are the order will be extended for three to ten years (3 years being the norm). If charges are dismissed or he is acquitted, the order will be dropped. The court may also decide to modify the order as well, but given the circumstances, I would not think so. Besides, what do you care? He's your ex, and he took a shot at you! Do you really want to speak sweet nothings to him?

In CA, we don't get to shoot at trespassers. What he did was stupid, reckless, and potentially deadly. He may get lucky and receive an offer for a lesser offense if he pleads guilty, but a lot will depend upon his past criminal history - if any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">