• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining Orders and College?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EmL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
So I was talking with a friend today, and she was telling me about how a guy (did some bad stuff that I won't get into). Anyway she had like an in school restraining order, but he's graduated now, so it no longer applies. She was telling me how much it freaked her out, and I asked her if she considered getting a restraining order with the governement, and she said she didn't want to do that because then she would have to tell the colleges she was applying for, and that it makes her look like she can't handle people on her own to them.
And that got me thinking. When my dad got arrested for DA, there was an order or protection or a restaidning order (I don't know) between his arrest and his trial that he couldn't make contact with me as part of his bail.

Would I really have to disclose this information to a college? Does it really affect negatively on me?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
So I was talking with a friend today, and she was telling me about how a guy (did some bad stuff that I won't get into). Anyway she had like an in school restraining order, but he's graduated now, so it no longer applies. She was telling me how much it freaked her out, and I asked her if she considered getting a restraining order with the governement, and she said she didn't want to do that because then she would have to tell the colleges she was applying for, and that it makes her look like she can't handle people on her own to them.
And that got me thinking. When my dad got arrested for DA, there was an order or protection or a restaidning order (I don't know) between his arrest and his trial that he couldn't make contact with me as part of his bail.

Would I really have to disclose this information to a college? Does it really affect negatively on me?
No, you would not need to disclose it to a college and no, it would not reflect negatively on you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Your friend is confused.

If she obtained a criminal restraining order, that would give her stalker a police record, not her.

The only relevance it would have at any college/university would be if he followed her there and started violating it. I suppose she might want campus security to know about it, but that would not be a ding against her. A violation of a "government" restraining order would be best reported to the real police, not the campus police. Campus police can't put people in jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">