• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with my brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CaityCat

My brother and I are both adults, and both still live with our parents in Idaho. There has been many verbal threats, and derogatory comments aimed at me during a conflict about a week ago. Since then many of my possesions have "walked off" and he has all but admitted to taking them. The overal value of the known missing items is over $100. In addition to all of that, this last Wendsday he struck me, and it left a bruise. I am wanting to know if I can legally do something about this situation, thanks.

commentator

At this point, for what's happened before now, I'd say probably not. Continue to walk off. Safeguard your possessions carefully. I'd even say start thinking of finding another place to live. But if he assaults you again physically, call the police, at the time it happens.

Just Blue

My brother and I are both adults, and both still live with our parents in Idaho. There has been many verbal threats, and derogatory comments aimed at me during a conflict about a week ago. Since then many of my possesions have "walked off" and he has all but admitted to taking them. The overal value of the known missing items is over $100. In addition to all of that, this last Wendsday he struck me, and it left a bruise. I am wanting to know if I can legally do something about this situation, thanks.
You need to move.

quincy

You can report the abuse to the police.

justalayman

You can report the abuse to the police.
I wouldn’t expect a prosecution to result from such a report (it is possible but I would t expect it) but it does establish the beginning of a consistent behavior of physical abuse which makes a prosecution down the road easier.

You can sue him for the taking of your property but “all but admitted” usually becomes an outright denial in court. As the plaintiff the onus is upon you to prove your case. That means no proof, no win.

quincy

I wouldn’t expect a prosecution to result from such a report (it is possible but I would t expect it) but it does establish the beginning of a consistent behavior of physical abuse which makes a prosecution down the road easier.

You can sue him for the taking of your property but “all but admitted” usually becomes an outright denial in court. As the plaintiff the onus is upon you to prove your case. That means no proof, no win.
I would think it doubtful, as well, but the police might impress on the brother that physical violence is not an acceptable way to resolve a dispute.

If the siblings cannot get along to the point where there is theft and violence, the parents might want to consider evicting both of their children.

xylene

Frankly, the police are much less likely to take any domestic violence less seriously if the people are the same gender.

This is a function of attitudes and training.

You need to move, even if the police did something that is what would happen.

If you have a lot of property that is only worth 100 dollars, again the police will not take it seriously and claim this is a civil matter over a very small amount of meager goods.

quincy

Frankly, the police are much less likely to take any domestic violence less seriously if the people are the same gender.

This is a function of attitudes and training.

You need to move, even if the police did something that is what would happen.

If you have a lot of property that is only worth 100 dollars, again the police will not take it seriously and claim this is a civil matter over a very small amount of meager goods.
We don't know if the siblings are the same gender. And I believe the police are supposed to be gender-blind.

justalayman

If the user name is any valid suggestion, I suspect the op is female.
But it shouldn’t make any difference. The incident should be reviewed in a gender neutral manner.

Depending on the attitude of the local police, this could be treated as siblings being siblings and the cops walking g away shaking heads saying “grow up” or it could result in a domestic violence charge. The fact is it CAN result in a domestic violence charge so those involved should keep that in mind when they argue.

xylene

We don't know if the siblings are the same gender. And I believe the police are supposed to be gender-blind.
I somehow understood them as twins, which was not stated, nor would preclude them being different genders. I'm illiterate.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Frankly, the police are much less likely to take any domestic violence less seriously
So, what you are saying is that the police are likely to take it more seriously? If they are LESS likely to take it LESS seriously, that means they are MORE likely to take it seriously - I do not think that is what you meant to write. Double negatives are rarely your friend, xy...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">