• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charge says one thing, ticket says another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaggyfox1

Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Charged in 2016. Looked up my court docket to get the case number, i paid the fee to get the record expunged.

After submitting my motion i went back into the docket and noticed something interesting. The waiverable ticket i was given says "Possession of less than 100 grams of marijuana" which is a minor misdemeanor. But the charge says "Drug abuse" which is a misdemeanor 4. It shows up on my background check as drug abuse, ticket says nothing about drug abuse.

Since the charge and the ticket say 2 very different things with 2 different misdemeanors, can it either be dismissed or will it make my expungement go easier or what?

FlyingRon

You're going to have to look at just exactly WHAT you are convicted of. It matters not what you were initially charged with.
Both are likely expungeable, but if you provide the wrong information as to what you're seeking relief from, you can screw things up.
You are probably advised to consult an attorney given your confusion.

adjusterjack

Since the charge and the ticket say 2 very different things with 2 different misdemeanors, can it either be dismissed or will it make my expungement go easier or what?
It's the documents in the case file that count, not what you can look up online.

This is likely to require a trip to the courthouse where you can review the actual case file and see what you were convicted of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">