• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co defendant...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DBLOCKBOI70

Nj,is the state...
Question : I caught a drug charge back in August 2017,and unfortunately I have a co-defendant in this matter. Now, I've been to court about 3 to 4 times already, and the first 3x's my co-defendant has showed up, as well. Now, the last time I appeared in court a couple of weeks ago my co-defendant was not in court this time. My question is when you have a co-defendant in a legal matter aren't you both suppose to show up in court together every time there's court?, he's not locked up, and when I last went to court the judge did not call his name in attendance. The only thing I can think of is he "turned", "flipped", he bit the "Cheese"!! Any other possibilities for my co-defendant not showing up in court?! Ive been told by numerous people, that when you have a co-defendant in a case you both are suppose to appear in court together!
Appreciate your feedback, ANYONE!!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Nj,is the state...
Question : I caught a drug charge back in August 2017,and unfortunately I have a co-defendant in this matter. Now, I've been to court about 3 to 4 times already, and the first 3x's my co-defendant has showed up, as well. Now, the last time I appeared in court a couple of weeks ago my co-defendant was not in court this time. My question is when you have a co-defendant in a legal matter aren't you both suppose to show up in court together every time there's court?, he's not locked up, and when I last went to court the judge did not call his name in attendance. The only thing I can think of is he "turned", "flipped", he bit the "Cheese"!! Any other possibilities for my co-defendant not showing up in court?! Ive been told by numerous people, that when you have a co-defendant in a case you both are suppose to appear in court together!
Appreciate your feedback, ANYONE!!!
Not always. Maybe his attorney filed to bifurcate so that you have separate trials. You caught a drug charge? No. You were charged due to the police believing you had/used/sold drugs.

LdiJ

It may be that his attorney simply decided that it would be better if the cases were heard separately.

latigo

Ummm Yeah. Og already said that.
For your much needed edification BM (of which you have zero) that could not possibly occur without the OP and his counsel being fully apprised of the fact that the defendants are to be tried separately!!

Furthermore, depending upon the state's evidence it might be beneficial that the OP be tried separately. Especially if that evidence shows the other defendant more culpable or has a previous conviction(s) upon a similar charge such as to show an admissible pattern of criminal behavior.

But one can't discount the absence of the defendant as resulting from his copping a plea. And as the OP seems to fear agreeing to testify for the state. Such an arrangement would not necessary be brought to the OP's immediate attention.

Just Blue

For your much needed edification BM (of which you have zero) that could not possibly occur without the OP and his counsel being fully apprised of the fact that the defendants are to be tried separately!!

Furthermore, depending upon the state's evidence it might be beneficial that the OP be tried separately. Especially if that evidence shows the other defendant more culpable or has a previous conviction(s) upon a similar charge such as to show an admissible pattern of criminal behavior.

But one can't discount the absence of the defendant as resulting from his copping a plea. And as the OP seems to fear agreeing to testify for the state. Such an arrangement would not necessary be brought to the OP's immediate attention.
Read latigo. Just read.

Happy New Year.

quincy

I shall consider it all....My life shall go on tho!!;)
:)

Because "Blue Meanie" is so easy to shorten to "Blue," I think some might think they are being (nastily) clever by shortening it to "BM."

What I find astonishing is that many young folks have no idea who the Beatles are.

Just Blue

:)

Because "Blue Meanie" is so easy to shorten to "Blue," I think some might think they are being (nastily) clever by shortening it to "BM."

What I find astonishing is that many young folks have no idea who the Beatles are.
If M is okay with it I may become Bambi01. Everyone loves Bambi right?:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">