• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got arrested with heroin 4 months ago......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendel stevens

Ok kind of a unique story ... I got arrested with a finger of heroin over 4 months ago I told the police that it's mine however they told me additional charges might be coming . So I posted $600 dollars bail and went to court the next morning

The judge told me I may be charged with more charges . I got scaredone and did not show up to my court date. My question is my arrest / not appearing to my 2nd court date nothing has been punlisted in the news paper ? The big question is have is if a family member talks to the police or the district attorney and tells them not to press additional charges can that happen? Or does the police and the da present evideo cell to a grand jury and try to indict me on more charges regardless of what a family member on the other side says? I can post more detail buy just afraid

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First, a criminal failing to appear for a court hearing is not at all "unique". Second, you shouldn't talk about this with anyone but your attorney. You CERTAINLY shouldn't shout it out on the internet.

FlyingRon

People who don't show up for court dates is rarely news. Why do you think a family member would have any bearing on whether they will file charges or not? The grand jury, the prosectutor, or whatever is not going to listen to a family member saying what a great guy you are and you shouldn't be held accountable for your crimes.

WHAT YOU NEED IS A LAWYER.

Most likely they're thinking about hitting you up with traffiking charges as well. Even the mere possession of the heroin is a SERIOUS crime.

A lawyer can:

1. Arrange a new appearance date without arrest or at least arrange an orderly surrender.
2. Look into the facts against you and help head off additional charges.
3. Help defend you on what you are charged with or at least mitigate the sentence.

Wendel stevens

Thanks for the reply so I got charged with possession and intent to distribute cause it was over 10 grams I just don't want to say what the additional charges are. I know it could take up to a year or more to indict me on ms.... but by my case not being in the newspaper makes me think someone on the other end has talked to the police or damage and told them not to put it in the paper or not ad new charges because I would have to tell my side of the story and the family name will get embarrassed. I could be wrong but why would it not be in the newspaper? In Dec it will be 5 months since I got arrested

PayrollHRGuy

The newspaper gets to choose what they print and there is no legal requirement that they print all arrests or cases. They may have just missed it.

Eekamouse

Thanks for the reply so I got charged with possession and intent to distribute cause it was over 10 grams I just don't want to say what the additional charges are. I know it could take up to a year or more to indict me on ms.... but by my case not being in the newspaper makes me think someone on the other end has talked to the police or damage and told them not to put it in the paper or not ad new charges because I would have to tell my side of the story and the family name will get embarrassed. I could be wrong but why would it not be in the newspaper? In Dec it will be 5 months since I got arrested
Does your city publish every arrest they make in the paper? I find that difficult to believe. What makes you think anyone is going to be able to talk to the police and convince them not to press more charges if the cops have evidence that tells them you have done more than just traffic heroin?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Does your city publish every arrest they make in the paper? I find that difficult to believe.
It would be unlikely for a large city paper like say the Washington Post or LA times to do that. But it is not that unusual for small town newspapers (and some of those still do exist) to do that. The newspaper for the small town I lived in during high school printed not only every arrest and police complaint, but also every single traffic ticket issued. If you were a kid and got into trouble, there was no way to hide it from your parents or anyone else in town — it’d be right there in the paper for everyone to see.

PayrollHRGuy

Yes it is more common for a smaller newspaper to report them. But with a smaller staff it is also much easier for them to be missed and unreported.

The newspaper in the town I grew up in had 15 employees in the news department in 1980. They have 6 today.

quincy

It would be unlikely for a large city paper like say the Washington Post or LA times to do that. But it is not that unusual for small town newspapers (and some of those still do exist) to do that. The newspaper for the small town I lived in during high school printed not only every arrest and police complaint, but also every single traffic ticket issued. If you were a kid and got into trouble, there was no way to hide it from your parents or anyone else in town — it’d be right there in the paper for everyone to see.
I doubt that high school offenders were named. Most newspapers in the country (both large and small) will not publish the names of minors. Not only are the names of minors generally redacted from the public records available to the press, it is a long-standing and well-recognized ethical policy of newspapers to not publish the names of minors.

It is not illegal to publish the names of minors (or rape victims) but it is considered unethical (with the rare exception).

Last edited:

Just Blue

If you are who I think you are...you have already embarrassed your family name.

quincy

If you are who I think you are...you have already embarrassed your family name.
Like Zigner said earlier, it is not smart to "shout out" one's crimes on the internet.

Wendell needs an attorney before he helps convict himself. I hope he hasn't used his real name here.

Just Blue

Like Zigner said earlier, it is not smart to "shout out" one's crimes on the internet.

Wendell needs an attorney before he helps convict himself. I hope he hasn't used his real name here.
At least she was "smart enough" to use a fake name... ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So write a letter stating that you are entitled to speedy trial that must happen within 180 days and send it certified to the prosecutors. Tell them YOU DEMAND your day in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">