• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Picture Evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s550evvy

This is going to be a question about North Carolina Marijuana laws. One of my friends' (over 18) parents recently received a call from the sheriff's department. Apparently sometime coming up, there was to be a drug raid at a local high school where multiple people were going to be arrested. Anyways, in this call, the deputy stated and showed images of the friend smoking marijuana. There was a picture of a bong, joint, and actual marijuana. In one of the pictures, a marijuana grinder can be seen as well. The deputy stated that the friend would be arrested coming up on this basis. The charges apparently pending were two paraphernalia charges (one for the grinder and one for the bong), a possession charge, and an intent to distribute charged based on the amount that could be seen in one of the pictures (although it was actually not above the limit to be charged with this). My question is, would he be able to be charged just based on the pictures? What would be the best way to go about this and cause the least amount of legal trouble and possibly get out of this? If he were to deny that this was even marijuana and did not have anything in possession, is there still basis to charge him? When he is taken in this drug bust, would he be better off to cooperate and tell the truth, ask for a lawyer, or just deny the claims? He is very unsure of what is the right thing to do in order to receive the best outcome possible. Thanks for any help in advance!

quincy

This is going to be a question about North Carolina Marijuana laws. One of my friends' (over 18) parents recently received a call from the sheriff's department. Apparently sometime coming up, there was to be a drug raid at a local high school where multiple people were going to be arrested. Anyways, in this call, the deputy stated and showed images of the friend smoking marijuana. There was a picture of a bong, joint, and actual marijuana. In one of the pictures, a marijuana grinder can be seen as well. The deputy stated that the friend would be arrested coming up on this basis. The charges apparently pending were two paraphernalia charges (one for the grinder and one for the bong), a possession charge, and an intent to distribute charged based on the amount that could be seen in one of the pictures (although it was actually not above the limit to be charged with this). My question is, would he be able to be charged just based on the pictures? What would be the best way to go about this and cause the least amount of legal trouble and possibly get out of this? If he were to deny that this was even marijuana and did not have anything in possession, is there still basis to charge him? When he is taken in this drug bust, would he be better off to cooperate and tell the truth, ask for a lawyer, or just deny the claims? He is very unsure of what is the right thing to do in order to receive the best outcome possible. Thanks for any help in advance!
The best way for the mental giant who posted his illegal activities online to handle any charges that result is to hire a defense attorney.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

IF he is arrested he should get a lawyer. I think it is likely his parents messing with him because he is stupid.

quincy

IF he is arrested he should get a lawyer. I think it is likely his parents messing with him because he is stupid.
I agree that it is unlikely that a sheriff called a parent to warn of an upcoming drug raid - or show the parent pictures during this phone call.

SHOULD charges result - and they could - an attorney perhaps can argue the photo evidence. How successful an argument would be is anyone's guess.

PayrollHRGuy

I don't think there is anyway to prove that the marijuana was really marijuana. It could have been a big pile of oregano.

quincy

How does one show images on a phone call?
That is just one part of the story that brings it into question. ;)

That said, a possession of paraphernalia charge is possible and, because those who like to post photos of the sort described here also like to boast, any text that accompanies the photos potentially could be used to support charges - as could witness testimony.

It boggles the mind that so many (generally teenage) people think it wise to use the internet to document their crimes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">