• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop asks if you've been drinking and you say yes (but not telling him it was coffee)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

What would happen if at a DUI check point the cop asks if you had been drinking and you say yes (but not telling him it was coffee or soda)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

What would happen if at a DUI check point the cop asks if you had been drinking and you say yes (but not telling him it was coffee or soda)
There's NO WAY we could tell you. Why don't you head on out and try it, then let us know?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

It is pretty well understoond by most people that when that question is asked, the officer is asking whether you have had any alcohol to drink. Thus answering yes to this question may well result in further investigation for DUI and possible charges for DUI. Bear in mind that you need not have any specific amount of alcohol in your system to be guilty of a DUI. If the officer has any evidence of impairment coupled with any evidence you had been drinking any amount of alcohol or had taken any drug that would be enough for probable cause to arrest you for DUI. Your admission to drinking would therefore provide part of the evidence against you to make that case. So if you fancy being investigated and possibly arrested for DUI even if you had not been drinking, then go ahead and be cute and play this game. But if you just want the stop over quickly when you haven't been drinking then just give a straight up answer and say you've had no alcohol.

quincy

That would be a great way to get arrested.

Where have you been, disneykid? We've missed you. ;) :)

adjusterjack

My guess is that he would find a good reason to put you face down on the ground with your wrists handcuffed behind your back.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If I didn't know that disneykid52 had been around here forever, I'd think this post was just the next stage of that little twit down the street with all the different names and the totally idiotic questions. Maybe disney is freegirl/whathappensafter/etc's famous boyfriend? This sounds exactly like something she would come up with.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, his friend down the street appears to have an endless supply she can share with him.

working-poor

He'll shoot you for being a smartass.
Oh, wait, you're in Florida? He'll set up a perimeter, and wait for backup from another jurisdiction to handle the matter, while he hides in his car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">