• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend Got DUI and Weapon Charge. She's Afraid She's Going to Jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

Despite law training, some people are just inherently better at arguing and speaking eloquently and being persuasive. Also some are just inherently more intelligent and see things differently and more clearly than others and see other options. That is what makes a great attorney, or at least trial attorney. Even if the client seems to have obviously broken the law, a good attorney can make an extremely good argument that they did not in fact break the law. That's what makes a good attorney. They can find loopholes, be persuasive etc. Law training means very little in that respect. Despite the fact that attorneys have to get so many years of "education", there is nothing special or particularly skilled about what they do, unless they have the oratorial skills that are just inherent in some people. I've represented myself in court in family law. It blows me away that family law attorneys charge people so much to do what they do. I figured it out on my own in less than a week, filed the paperwork, took my arguments to court and won. While I only represented myself in court once, accomplished a lot through many different documents filed on many occasions without having to go to court. Many attorneys are simply parasites who don't actually do much of anything other than have paralegals / junior attorneys fill out paperwork and then charge $200 an hour for their "skills."

At any rate, she was pulled over because the cops in the particular town she was pulled over in harass pretty much anyone driving at late hours of the night. They're notorious for being overzealous traffic monitors.

It doesn't seem to me like the public defender will actually make any kind of argument that will do anything or even be able to spend the time to deal with the case properly in the first place. I'm trying to find out what kind of penalties to expect in Arkansas for her situation if found guilty.
My GOODNESS with all your charm I'm positive that the Attorney volunteers on this site are dying to help you....

Just Blue

I have problems with what I have bolded in your post quoted above but I am sure nothing I say will make you see things differently - so I am not going to try. This is not a debate forum.

I also will not take time to tell you all that an attorney does to represent a client or why an attorney's education and experience makes him better equipped to handle a case than someone who is not an attorney and who tries to learn the law by googling and asking questions on legal forums.

Your girlfriend can interview private attorneys at all pay rates and experience and decide whether any one of them impresses her more than the public defenders. If she qualifies for a public defender, she needs to make the choice of attorney on her own.

Good luck to her.
I find it ironic and amusing that OP pontificates about the intelligence of PD's and yet he stupidly posts his GF's CRIMINAL ISSUES on the net...

quincy

I find it ironic and amusing that OP pontificates about the intelligence of PD's and yet he stupidly posts his GF's CRIMINAL ISSUES on the net...
I think ctwforgood's girlfriend needs to find an attorney soon, before ctwforgood alienates all of them in her area with his undisguised contempt for those in law and law enforcement. He is not doing her any favors here.

Just Blue

I think ctwforgood's girlfriend needs to find an attorney soon, before ctwforgood alienates all of them in her area with his undisguised contempt for those in law and law enforcement. He is not doing her any favors here.
Agreed**************.....

quincy

Really??! Wonder who did that...;)
Ah. :)

I didn't see anything posted that violated the terms of service, even though I do not share ctwforgood's opinion of lawyers, law enforcement or the value of what is provided on this site or the majority of members who provide it.

I hope his girlfriend finds assistance in her area because it appears she really needs a legal professional to assist with her defense.

Just Blue

Ah. :)

I didn't see anything posted that violated the terms of service, even though I do not share ctwforgood's opinion of lawyers, law enforcement or the value of what is provided on this site or the majority of members who provide it.

I hope his girlfriend finds assistance in her area because it appears she really needs a legal professional to assist with her defense.
It's against the terms to be so rude. And he was very rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">