• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massachusetts DUI Alcohol Course Transfer to California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fondofpuppies

Hello,

So I got a DUI in Massachusetts in August but am going back to school and I got a job offer in California so I will be moving out there. I am a MA resident I got it okayed by both the judge and my probation officer to take this online course based out of California. The company that offers the course also provided me with a list of Massachusetts first DUI offense cases that accepted their 32hr/16week course.

When I complete the course, do I need to provide the MassDOT RMV with proof of my completion certificate? I will of course provide to my probation officer in my monthly letters but what else do I need to do to ensure i meet all of my requirements?

Also, I got points on my auto insurance.. do I need to inform my auto insurance as well once I complete it?

Thanks!!!

FlyingRon

When I complete the course, do I need to provide the MassDOT RMV with proof of my completion certificate? I will of course provide to my probation officer in my monthly letters but what else do I need to do to ensure i meet all of my requirements?
I believe you have to bring the certficiate to the RMV to get reinstated.
Also, I got points on my auto insurance.. do I need to inform my auto insurance as well once I complete it?
Nope, but it probably couldn't hurt to tell them. They might give you some consideration.

Mass_Shyster

You didn’t say, but I’m assuming this is a 90/24d disposition that includes a 45 to 90 day loss of license.

There’s no requirement they you notify the RMV upon completion of the program. You may notify them when you enroll in order to get a hardship license.

Also, even if you don’t have a Mass license, you must pay the fees to reinstate your right to operate in Mass. If you don’t, CA will eventually suspend your license.

You’re probably looking at two $500 reinstatement fees. One for the automatic suspension for refusing the BT, one for blowing over.08 on the BT, and one for the court ordered suspension.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">