• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

As a passenger in DWI case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ugur Colin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi

I was on my friend’s car, he was driving, I was on the passengers’s seat, we were both drunk, we got pulled over, then he failed the sobriety test, he got arrested for DWI, then police officers said he will let me go, but he wants to make sure I am sober, so I also did the sobriety test, and I passed it, the officer gave my ID back and let me go.
The question is will I get any charge or tickets from the mails in the future? Thank you.

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi

I was on my friend’s car, he was driving, I was on the passengers’s seat, we were both drunk, we got pulled over, then he failed the sobriety test, he got arrested for DWI, then police officers said he will let me go, but he wants to make sure I am sober, so I also did the sobriety test, and I passed it, the officer gave my ID back and let me go.
The question is will I get any charge or tickets from the mails in the future? Thank you.
Why would you expect to get any tickets? Did something happen after you were allowed to leave? Are you a minor?

Ugur Colin

No, I am an adult, and I just went home directly after they let me go. Just some online information said they can charge the passengers like public safety or other things, just worry about it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, I am an adult, and I just went home directly after they let me go. Just some online information said they can charge the passengers like public safety or other things, just worry about it.
If you were going to get a ticket, you almost definitely would have received it on the scene. I wouldn't worry. If you DO get a ticket or some other charging document in the mail, deal with it then.

CavemanLawyer

If you hadn't passed the field sobriety tests then the officer(s) would have had two options. They could have towed the car and had someone come pick you up or they could have charged you with public intoxication. Since you passed then you are in the clear, except that you unfortunately might now be a witness against your friend in his case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">