+ Reply to Thread

Public Intoxication and Possession of Alcohol Charge (underage)

Hello, I'm from Virginia and I was recently charged with Public intoxication and possession of alcohol because I am under 21 years of age. I recently consulted with a lawyer, and he told me I should go to court and approach the Judge and say "your honor may I have first ascender on both charges". He said if I say this, I will more than likely be told to complete and ASAP class, and do community service to have the charges discharged after a year. Just curious what anyone knows about this saying or if that's the correct saying? Thanks again, any help is appreciated greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Travisbulls34 View Post
    Hello, I'm from Virginia and I was recently charged with Public intoxication and possession of alcohol because I am under 21 years of age. I recently consulted with a lawyer, and he told me I should go to court and approach the Judge and say "your honor may I have first ascender on both charges". He said if I say this, I will more than likely be told to complete and ASAP class, and do community service to have the charges discharged after a year. Just curious what anyone knows about this saying or if that's the correct saying? Thanks again, any help is appreciated greatly.
    Your attorney is the one familiar with your case and also with the "mood" of the local court. We would be unwise to contradict your attorney.

Could your lawyer have said "first time offender" instead of "first ascender".

Are you near one of the major university campuses? I'd see if I could get into see the commonwealth's attorney before trial starts. Usually the ones around JMU, etc... have a standard program for first underage alcohol arrests.

Quote Originally Posted by PayrollHRGuy View Post
    Could your lawyer have said "first time offender" instead of "first ascender".
    I'm honestly not completely positive it was hard to understand what he was saying over the phone that's why I was curious as if that's a normal saying or not.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Are you near one of the major university campuses? I'd see if I could get into see the commonwealth's attorney before trial starts. Usually the ones around JMU, etc... have a standard program for first underage alcohol arrests.
    Yes, I'm actually at JMU. What exactly would this commonwealth's attorney do? Sorry I'm not familiar at all with any of this stuff.

I'm honestly not completely positive it was hard to understand what he was saying over the phone that's why I was curious as if that's a normal saying or not.

It was likely "first time offender". As a college student you should be able to look up in a dictionary that "ascender" doesn't apply.

Yes, I'm actually at JMU. What exactly would this commonwealth's attorney do? Sorry I'm not familiar at all with any of this stuff.
    He will approve the diversion that you take up to the judge.

+ Reply to Thread