• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restitution vs Civil issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diem

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Hi, I was arrested for a DUI in 2006. I ran into a fence causing around $6,000 in damage. The police officer who had a grudge against me said I had no insurance when infact I did. The judge ordered me to pay that amount in restitution within a year. I DID have insurance and just submitted the claim to my insurance. They said they will pay it.

The owner of the fence is my towns street department. I called to see if the insurance company had contacted them and they had not. The guy in charge was a jerk at that. He stated that he'll just have to call the prosecutor to discuss this and isn't waiting around for an insurance check. I told him he'd have to. I am scheduled to be off of probation in 2 weeks.

Since it has been turned over to insurance and they said they will pay the claim, wouldn't that make that amount only a CIVIL matter rather than a LEGAL matter? I don't want my probation violated at the last minute over something like this.

seniorjudge

Q: Since it has been turned over to insurance and they said they will pay the claim, wouldn't that make that amount only a CIVIL matter rather than a LEGAL matter?

A: No. The restitution is either paid or it is not paid. If it is not paid, then you are in violation of your probation and could go to jail. If it is paid, then you are not in violation of your probation.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.

diem

Okay, well say my probation is violated over this. It carries a maximum 1 year sentence (6 months in Jail). Say I did 6 months in the county Jail; how would they then pursue the restitution?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">