• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who Should I contact?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Only if the driver is restricted...In my scenario (and in the OP's case), the driver wasn't restricted. i.e., the driver wasn't required to blow in the device to begin with.

Can you point out the specific sub-section that you are referring to, for reference. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to admit it and buy you a (virtual) beverage of your choice :)
All cars that the restricted driver will be driving are registered with the state and equipped with the interlock devices. All drivers of the equipped vehicles must follow the same rules for operating the vehicles as the restricted driver. Whoever drives must be willing to blow into the device to start the vehicle. To have someone else blow into the device is considered tampering with the device and tampering with the device is illegal. It is illegal for the restricted driver and it is illegal for anyone else driving the vehicle.

You can wait for GuyInNC to post with his firsthand experience.

Last edited:

GuyInNC

I was in the unusual situation of being required to have a interlock device installed on a car but was told that I was not allowed to drive this car. My wife would drive it maybe once per week as not driving a vehicle at all is not a good idea. I would be the passenger and would "do the blowing" since my wife's lungs were not strong enough.

I asked my lawyer about that and he had no concerns regarding doing this, but that is in NC. And the process in NC requires that the interlock device be installed before you can get even a provisional license (which in my case still meant I couldn't drive but I could run off my "interlock clock"). So I had to have a driver to drive the car after the interlock was installed. And the folks at the interlock installation place pretty much expected me (in the passenger seat) to be doing the blowing (it easily reaches the passenger seat - at least the model that I had installed). So I am pretty sure that in NC a passenger blowing in the case of the driver having no restrictions is not an issue.

I was able to legally drive this vehicle every other month to the station where they checked and calibrated the device. But that was the only time I was allowed to drive the car. It always seemed a bit odd to me, but that is how it played out in my case.

quincy

I was in the unusual situation of being required to have a interlock device installed on a car but was told that I was not allowed to drive this car. My wife would drive it maybe once per week as not driving a vehicle at all is not a good idea. I would be the passenger and would "do the blowing" since my wife's lungs were not strong enough.

I asked my lawyer about that and he had no concerns regarding doing this, but that is in NC. And the process in NC requires that the interlock device be installed before you can get even a provisional license (which in my case still meant I couldn't drive but I could run off my "interlock clock"). So I had to have a driver to drive the car after the interlock was installed. And the folks at the interlock installation place pretty much expected me (in the passenger seat) to be doing the blowing (it easily reaches the passenger seat - at least the model that I had installed). So I am pretty sure that in NC a passenger blowing in the case of the driver having no restrictions is not an issue.

I was able to legally drive this vehicle every other month to the station where they checked and calibrated the device. But that was the only time I was allowed to drive the car. It always seemed a bit odd to me, but that is how it played out in my case.
Thanks for checking in, GuyInNC. I am not sure your experience, which seems unique to you and North Carolina, is as helpful for Jo as I hoped it would be, though. :)

FlyingRon

All cars that the restricted driver will be driving are registered with the state and equipped with the interlock devices. All drivers of the equipped vehicles must follow the same rules for operating the vehicles as the restricted driver.
That may be true in some places, but it is certainly ***NOT*** for Florida.

The law on the interlock only covers those with the restricted "P" license. If you have such a license you must drive an interlocked vehicle and you must blow (no fair having a sober friend blow) as required by its operation. However, the person who has the interlocked vehicle had better make sure anybody who uses the vehicle is sober and otherwise uses it properly, for if it logs a violation, they're going to be called on the carpet for it.

Jo1231

who should I contact

I received a 10 day temporary tag to have the blower installed in my car so I can get my license, I'm not eligible until the 26th of this month. My friend drove the car to the place and the guy who installed the device in my vehicle told us that the device was for me to blow in because I was the one who got the dui which turns out to be wrong. The car was only drove to the DMV because I thought I was getting my license that day but found out I was missing a paper and they gave me the wrong date so I didn't get my license that day so not knowing any better my friend drove the car back home and I blew in it. The car has not been driven since that day. My friend was not drunk, he could have blown in the device without a problem. we were just given the wrong info. I was not trying to break the law. I had not received any instructions or rules yet and I have not signed the contract for the intoxalock yet because of this. I contacted them and told them what happened and they said I should contact the dmv. I'm just afraid they are going to suspend my license as soon as I get it back because of this which is not my fault. The device has a camera.

Last edited:

quincy

I received a 10 day temporary tag to have the blower installed in my car so I can get my license, I'm not eligible until the 26th of this month. My friend drove the car to the place and the guy who installed the device in my vehicle told us that the device was for me to blow in because I was the one who got the dui which turns out to be wrong. The car was only drove to the DMV because I thought I was getting my license that day but found out I was missing a paper and they gave me the wrong date so I didn't get my license that day so not knowing any better my friend drove the car back home and I blew in it. The car has not been driven since that day. My friend was not drunk, he could have blown in the device without a problem. we were just given the wrong info. I was not trying to break the law. I had not received any instructions or rules yet and I have not signed the contract for the intoxalock yet because of this. I contacted them and told them what happened and they said I should contact the dmv. I'm just afraid they are going to suspend my license as soon as I get it back because of this which is not my fault. The devi has a camera.
Because your device has a camera, the fact that you blew into the device for the driver will be known BUT because the car started with your breath, I don't see that there should be a problem with your license.

I disagree, PayRollHRGuy. The car starts with the blow, the one blowing is pictured, and the car's running time is noted. Here is a link* to more information: http://www.floridaignitioninterlocks.com/faqs

*This is not an endorsement but is provided solely for the information.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

I didn't realize they have cameras. But does the camera shoot video for longer than the start cycle? If not B would still be in place.

quincy

I didn't realize they have cameras. But does the camera shoot video for longer than the start cycle? If not B would still be in place.
There is more than one "breath start" to ensure the driver is the one blowing into the device.

What I linked to offers a good explanation of how these devices work.

PayrollHRGuy

It was interesting but I didn't find anywhere that it mentioned recording photos or videos.

It did say it recorded...

Each breath test result (This includes both your initial test to start the vehicle, “timed retests,” and subsequent “rolling retests”);
Your failure to submit a breath test after being requested by the device to do so;
Each occasion in which your vehicle’s engine was started or stopped;
Any efforts to tamper with or circumvent the ignition interlock device;
Your failure to turn the vehicle’s engine off after a failed “rolling” test;
The total period of time your vehicle was used on each occasion it was driven;
The mileage your vehicle was driven and the total mileage since your last data download;
Each occasion that you experienced a “vehicle lockout;” and
Whether you employed the emergency override feature.

JsMauiMomma

It was interesting but I didn't find anywhere that it mentioned recording photos or videos.

It did say it recorded...
Cameras are mentioned on the "Avoiding Embarassment" tab.

A new industry has jumped at the opportunity to “cash in” on the public’s anxiety caused by the use of an Ignition Interlock device. Patented coffee and soft drink cups have been cleverly designed to conceal the interlock. The problem with these “camo” cups is that they could subject you to a potential drivers license suspension. This is because the DHSMV in Florida requires that the photograph taken by the windshield mounted camera include not only an image of the driver, but also an unobstructed view of the driver blowing into the interlock device.

Last edited:

quincy

Cameras are mentioned on the "Avoiding Embarassment" tab.

A new industry has jumped at the opportunity to “cash in” on the public’s anxiety caused by the use of an Ignition Interlock device. Patented coffee and soft drink cups have been cleverly designed to conceal the interlock. The problem with these “camo” cups is that they could subject you to a potential drivers license suspension. This is because the DHSMV in Florida requires that the photograph taken by the windshield mounted camera include not only an image of the driver, but also an unobstructed view of the driver blowing into the interlock device.
There are good reasons for the camera additions to the IIDs. It was well known that drivers were having others blow into the devices for them. The cameras (and rolling starts) help to control that.

GuyInNC

There are good reasons for the camera additions to the IIDs. It was well known that drivers were having others blow into the devices for them. The cameras (and rolling starts) help to control that.
It isn't clear to me that the OP's device has a camera. The Florida Highway Motor Vehicles and Safety website lists the SmartStart SSI 2030 as an approved device. While this model can accomodate a camera it is a separate device and I would expect (but I guess I don't know for sure) that he/she would be well aware of it if there was one in the vehicle. Although maybe it is integrated in the device the OP has.

In browsing through their FHMVS website I didn't see a reference to a camera. I don't think a camera is in the picture (pun intended) in this case.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

From Q's link.

“If you have been drinking alcohol, you can circumvent the ignition interlock by having a friend or relative blow into the device to get the vehicle started.”
False. In Florida, all ignition interlocks incorporate a camera that snaps an image of the person who is blowing into the device. Smart Start™ self-assuredly refers to this feature as their “Photo ID” module. These miniature cameras are mounted on the inside of the windshield on the driver’s side and are designed to work under any lighting conditions. Keep in mind, that subsequent “rolling tests” are always required and the camera takes a photo each and every time a breath sample is submitted. Each photo is temporarily stored and downloaded monthly along with all other data.

quincy

It isn't clear to me that the OP's device has a camera. The Florida Highway Motor Vehicles and Safety website lists the SmartStart SSI 2030 as an approved device. While this model can accomodate a camera it is a separate device and I would expect (but I guess I don't know for sure) that he/she would be well aware of it if there was one in the vehicle. Although maybe it is integrated in the device the OP has.

In browsing through their FHMVS website I didn't see a reference to a camera. I don't think a camera is in the picture (pun intended) in this case.
Jo1231 said the device installed has a camera. Read the last line of his/her post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">