• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freedom of Speech

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

14jchan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am not looking to sue, but I was just a bit curious... I am a high schooler, and the other day, my and my friend were chatting. I was attempting to fix her computer, and she was reluctant because she did not understand what I was doing, and we were making a bit of fun at her (because she was trying to get into college for a Computer Science major, and it made it all the more funny, and cringeworthy). Anyhow, a teacher (I think, but I've never seen her on campus before, but then again, I don't know all the staff on campus) and came up to her (in front of both of us) and told her while smiling at me "I would slap him if I were you". Of course I told her that verbal "assault" (it wasn't even, but she said it was) does not warrant physical assault, and that such a comment at school was inappropriate and unnessasary. I was just wondering if that was legal of her, or if that broke any laws. I was shocked that a teacher or what I presumed to be a school staff (or even any adult on school campus) could come up so boldly and say it to me. It just kind of blew me away. Anyways, my friends and I laughed it off later, but I am still a bit curious :)

Thanks!

CdwJava

It sounds as if the woman made a flippant remark. It may not have been wise if she were a staff member or volunteer, but there does not appear to be any crime or policy issue here, and no real problem.

Don't fret about it.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I was just wondering if that was legal of her, or if that broke any laws.
It was not illegal; no laws were broken. She was simply expressing an opinion, nothing more. Moreover, I suspect it was well understood by the persons listening that she did not mean what she said literally but was rather simply making the point that your treatment of your classmate was inappropriate. I get that some teens like to make fun of and put down others. They haven’t matured enough to know better and seem to think putting down others elevates themselves. I see that from teens often. Even your own description of your treatment of your classmate brought to mind this sort behavior, and it is not kind nor it is appropriate. Nevertheless, your comments to your classmate were not illegal either.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am not looking to sue, but I was just a bit curious... I am a high schooler, and the other day, my and my friend were chatting. I was attempting to fix her computer, and she was reluctant because she did not understand what I was doing, and we were making a bit of fun at her (because she was trying to get into college for a Computer Science major, and it made it all the more funny, and cringeworthy). Anyhow, a teacher (I think, but I've never seen her on campus before, but then again, I don't know all the staff on campus) and came up to her (in front of both of us) and told her while smiling at me "I would slap him if I were you". Of course I told her that verbal "assault" (it wasn't even, but she said it was) does not warrant physical assault, and that such a comment at school was inappropriate and unnessasary. I was just wondering if that was legal of her, or if that broke any laws. I was shocked that a teacher or what I presumed to be a school staff (or even any adult on school campus) could come up so boldly and say it to me. It just kind of blew me away. Anyways, my friends and I laughed it off later, but I am still a bit curious :)

Thanks!
I hope she is not one of your future teachers.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What I find interesting is that apparently in his definitions, he has the 'freedom of speech' to make fun of his classmate, but the teacher does not have the 'freedom of speech' to express her opinion of what they were doing.

Curious, that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What I find interesting is that apparently in his definitions, he has the 'freedom of speech' to make fun of his classmate, but the teacher does not have the 'freedom of speech' to express her opinion of what they were doing.

Curious, that.
He also doesn't have freedom of speech if he calls his congressman from home as he can be suspended. It is definitely an interesting time we live in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">