• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher student rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fatherman

My son is 12 years old. He has a teacher who particularly dislikes him. As a result, he has spent the majority of this year being denied a seat in his class.
It has something to do with a missing assignment. It should be noted, that the teacher does make other students stand against the wall for periods of time, not nearly for the amount of time that my son does. For more than a month now he has not been allowed to sit at all. This seems to me to be a bit overboard for a missing assignment.

I don't have any proof that the teacher picks on him specifically, as it is a difficult thing to prove. I have heard from several other students that he gets targeted though.
I have asked the school to move him out of this teacher's class on several occasions but they have refused for varying reasons. "We don't have room in any other classes" "It's too late in the school year to move him" etc..

What can I do about this?

PayrollHRGuy

Do you have any evidence other than the word of your 12 year old that this is actually true?

Have you talked to the teacher? I would think if you had you would be better able to explain the reason for the treatment than "It has something to do with a missing assignment. "

quincy

My son is 12 years old. He has a teacher who particularly dislikes him. As a result, he has spent the majority of this year being denied a seat in his class.
It has something to do with a missing assignment. It should be noted, that the teacher does make other students stand against the wall for periods of time, not nearly for the amount of time that my son does. For more than a month now he has not been allowed to sit at all. This seems to me to be a bit overboard for a missing assignment.

I don't have any proof that the teacher picks on him specifically, as it is a difficult thing to prove. I have heard from several other students that he gets targeted though.
I have asked the school to move him out of this teacher's class on several occasions but they have refused for varying reasons. "We don't have room in any other classes" "It's too late in the school year to move him" etc..

What can I do about this?
I agree that what you describe as discipline for a single missing assignment seems a bit extreme - which is why I also suspect that there is far more to the story.

I agree with the previous poster that speaking to your son's teacher is the first step you should take.

What is the name of your state?

HRZ

Public or private school?

I suspect there is more to your story and perhaps your role in supporting the education of your child.

LdiJ

I agree that what you describe as discipline for a single missing assignment seems a bit extreme - which is why I also suspect that there is far more to the story.

I agree with the previous poster that speaking to your son's teacher is the first step you should take.

What is the name of your state?
There could be a whole lot more to the story, but teachers are human beings too and therefore not perfect. Sometimes they make mistakes...even really big ones. I have seen a couple.

quincy

There could be a whole lot more to the story, but teachers are human beings too and therefore not perfect. Sometimes they make mistakes...even really big ones. I have seen a couple.
I never said, and I don't think I implied, that teachers are perfect.

That doesn't change my advice. The first best step is to speak to the teacher who is, according to a bunch of 12 year olds, refusing to allow her students to sit at their desks.

I suspect the teacher's story will be quite a bit different from the story told by the son and his friends.

Until the whole of the story is known to the parent, I recommend the parent make sure their child is doing homework and turning in assignments on time.

ajkroy

As a public high school teacher in MA, I can tell you that type of "punishment" would be illegal in my state. I am thinking either this is private school, not in the US, or a misunderstood story. Otherwise, we should hear about it on the news.

Just Blue

As a public high school teacher in MA, I can tell you that type of "punishment" would be illegal in my state. I am thinking either this is private school, not in the US, or a misunderstood story. Otherwise, we should hear about it on the news.
Would it be illegal to have the student write out the missing assignment on the blackboard?

I was thinking that might be closer to the truth...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">