• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad's Burial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

King9999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My father gave me Power of Attorney when he was lucid, but my sister waited until his dementia progressed and had him assign her power of attorney. Her mishandling his money is bad enough, but my real concern is that she has expressed that she intends to cremate him once he dies and keep him on her fireplace mantle. My mother passed years ago, and I know dad wants to be buried with my mom who he was married to for close to fifty years. I want the right to transport my dad out of state and bury him with my mom once he dies. I do not have the money for an attorney, and was wondering if there is some type of legal document I can obtain now that will give me the right to handle his final disposition?

HRZ

1. DId dad extinguish your POA at any time ? Is your POA durable

2.'AT time new POA was generated was dad " out of it , like way out of it?

3. Do you mean sloppy management of dad's funds or funds disappears for her personal use .

4. Unless you hit the lottery , you will need to consider that dad's soul will join with mom no matter where his physical remains may be...

Dandy Don

The POA she received is not considered to be valid because a person with diminished mental capacity does not understand what they have signed.

Whatever she has done to mishandle his finances is illegal and you need to consider having her investigated for committing elder financial abuse.

http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/doea/abuse_prevention.php

Why do you want to take his body out of state before burial? If you work you can afford to have an initial consultation with a family law attorney or civil law attorney to find out whether what you want to do can be achieved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">