• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asbestos Contamination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deskaiser

New York State:

Does a person have to become sick from asbestos in order for an asbestos lawyer to be interested in my case? I was exposed to asbestos and I have copies of the OSHA fines and violations. There were many fines and numerous violations. Both the contractor and the plant owner are publicly traded corporations on the NYSE. The job site was shut down for weeks while proper abatement was performed. Dozens were exposed. Would anyone know of a lawfirm that would be interested in this information? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

wyett717

This board does not provide lawyer recommendations. I believe that you would need to have some type of damages in order to pursue legal action, but you could call a few lawyers in your area to check it out.

deskaiser

This board does not provide lawyer recommendations. I believe that you would need to have some type of damages in order to pursue legal action, but you could call a few lawyers in your area to check it out.
Sorry. Perhaps I should have worded it better. My primary question is:

Do you have have to actually be SICK from asbestos exposure to have one of the national asbestos law firms interested in taking your case? Is documented asbestos exposure enough to take legal action? I have copies of all the OSHA fines levied against these huge corporations. I'm tired of going to cancer funerals for my coworkers. There's no way I could afford to fight these corporations on my own. Any help or opinions appreciated.

HomeGuru

Sorry. Perhaps I should have worded it better. My primary question is:

Do you have have to actually be SICK from asbestos exposure to have one of the national asbestos law firms interested in taking your case? Is documented asbestos exposure enough to take legal action? I have copies of all the OSHA fines levied against these huge corporations. I'm tired of going to cancer funerals for my coworkers. There's no way I could afford to fight these corporations on my own. Any help or opinions appreciated.
**A: the answer is no.

You Are Guilty

If you have clear exposure and don't already have an asbestos lawsuit filed on your behalf, then either 1) you haven't tried talking to a plaintiff's asbestos law firm, or 2) you don't have as clear exposure as you think you do.

Call a few of the big names and see what happens even without any (current) illness. You may be pleasantly surprised.

deskaiser

If you have clear exposure and don't already have an asbestos lawsuit filed on your behalf, then either 1) you haven't tried talking to a plaintiff's asbestos law firm, or 2) you don't have as clear exposure as you think you do.

Call a few of the big names and see what happens even without any (current) illness. You may be pleasantly surprised.
I sent a few emails to them (the big asbestos law firms) but never got a reply. Maybe if I mailed them copies of the OSHA fines and violations? These corporations are listed on many of the asbestos law firm web sites as targets for litigation. They are multi-billion dollar corporations.

I hired a local attorney I got from the lawyer referal service. He said he would argue my case and then I paid him what was a lot of money to me. Provided him all the details. OSHA violations, times, dates etc. It's been over 10 months and I have heard nothing. I don't know what to do. He refuses to provide me any details in regards to my case and I fear he has done nothing other than cash my check. No contact at all. Nothing. Can't get him on the phone and my letters go unaswered. I don't have a lot of money. I'm just a construction worker.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

I sent a few emails to them (the big asbestos law firms) but never got a reply. Maybe if I mailed them copies of the OSHA fines and violations? These corporations are listed on many of the asbestos law firm web sites as targets for litigation. They are multi-billion dollar corporations.

I hired a local attorney I got from the lawyer referal service. He said he would argue my case and then I paid him what was a lot of money to me. Provided him all the details. OSHA violations, times, dates etc. It's been over 10 months and I have heard nothing. I don't know what to do. He refuses to provide me any details in regards to my case and I fear he has done nothing other than cash my check. No contact at all. Nothing. Can't get him on the phone and my letters go unaswered. I don't have a lot of money. I'm just a construction worker.
Uh, you paid a lawyer to take your asbestos case? Unless it was $300 or so for the filing fees, that's not normal - you need to be a bit more proactive with the guy to find out what's going on.

As for getting one of the heavy hitters involved, I'd start with a telephone call, and maybe consider making an appointment to go there in person. Either way, you should definitely have an extra copy of your records for them.

Incidentally, thanks to these plaintiff's firms, there are over 30 "billion dollar" corporations that have gone bankrupt specifically because of asbestos litigation. If your exposure came solely from these bankrupt entities, then that might be why the lawyers are not more vigilant about taking your case.

Good luck.

deskaiser

Niether of these corporations are bankrupt. Both are listed on the heavy hitter asbestos lawyers web sites.

I hired the lawyer to represent me in a whistleblower case. I was the person who called OSHA and they issued the violations, fines, shut the job down, etc. I was terminated because I did this. He was supposed to represent me in a wrongful dismisal case for reporting an environmental violation. After months of hearing nothing, I tried calling him. Numerous phone calls ignored. I wrote a few certfied letters asking for info and it's been close to 10 months. He's totally ignoring me. This is why I was wondering if the big asbestos firms represent people if they are not sick from asbestos (yet). OSHA sent me all the violations and fines. Maybe I'll just mail them all the info and see what happens. I can't afford to pay another lawyer again.
Thanks

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Niether of these corporations are bankrupt. Both are listed on the heavy hitter asbestos lawyers web sites.
Was just throwing it out there as a possibility :)

I hired the lawyer to represent me in a whistleblower case. I was the person who called OSHA and they issued the violations, fines, shut the job down, etc. I was terminated because I did this. He was supposed to represent me in a wrongful dismisal case for reporting an environmental violation. After months of hearing nothing, I tried calling him. Numerous phone calls ignored. I wrote a few certfied letters asking for info and it's been close to 10 months. He's totally ignoring me. This is why I was wondering if the big asbestos firms represent people if they are not sick from asbestos (yet). OSHA sent me all the violations and fines. Maybe I'll just mail them all the info and see what happens. I can't afford to pay another lawyer again.
Still, you shouldn't be paying ANYTHING other than filing/expert fees up front. Go here, click websupreme, and follow the directions to search for YOUR NAME in the "plaintiff" box.
http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/ecourtsMain

See what comes up. If nothing, there's a good chance that your lawyer never filed a lawsuit (but it's not definitive - they don't always show up on the web site).

As for filing a claim, you can still do so without any "active" illness. All it takes is one b-reader to say you have asbestosis. I am sure the big firms will be more than happy to help you locate a place to be screened, if you have not been able to do so on your own. Without any further illness though, your case will basically stay inactive for a long time (unless you get sick in the meantime).

Last edited:

deskaiser

Was just throwing it out there as a possibility :)

Still, you shouldn't be paying ANYTHING other than filing/expert fees up front. Go here, click websupreme, and follow the directions to search for YOUR NAME in the "plaintiff" box.
eCourts

See what comes up. If nothing, there's a good chance that your lawyer never filed a lawsuit (but it's not definitive - they don't always show up on the web site).
thanks for the link. I checked and my name is not listed. The lawyer said he was going to argue it with the Dept of Labor. Perhaps Federal? Is there a federal link similar to the state link? I checked my lawyers active cases and my name is not there either. Should I file a complaint with the Bar? Thank you very much.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

That is just for NY state courts. Federal you have to sign up for:
http://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov/
(And I'm not sure administrative actions (i.e. Labor Board) would show up on Pacer either).

Simplest solution is to speak to the attorney directly and ask him exactly what he's done so far for your money.

Good luck.

deskaiser

Simplest solution is to speak to the attorney directly and ask him exactly what he's done so far for your money.

Good luck.
Boy I wish I could! Phone calls go unanswered, he's never in his office or secretary says he's in court, I leave messages, sent certified letter (twice). I tried the email route and get a single sentence that he will mail me some info soon. This has been going on for months. No info in close to 10 months. Other than showing up at his house, I have no idea how to get in touch with him. I hear this is common with some lawyers. It appears I've found a rotten apple. The funny thing is that the NY Bar lawyer referal service are the people who suggested him to me. I've never hired a lawyer before and had no idea how to do it other than the yellow pages. I would have been better off pciking one at random out of the phone book. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">