• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My former apartment might be condemned because of mold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keith502

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I have written a previous post in this forum entitled "I have a mold exposure illness because of my landlord." In that post, I said that I had suffered mold-related illness because there was mold in my former apartment (that I moved out of last September) after my landlord failed to properly remedy toilet overflooding. I tried to pursue a lawsuit against him but I failed to gather enough evidence to create a compelling case.

However, I have recently come up with a new idea for how I could sue my landlord. I have made a few recent visits to my old apartment, and it appears that no one lives there, even though all the other units in the apartment building are occupied. It was a nice apartment and it doesn't seem like the landlord should have had any trouble finding another tenant to rent it. My suspicion is that the apartment has been (at least temporarily) condemned on account of the mold infestation, and the landlord doesn't want to pay to have it remedied. I wondered if I took him to court about my mold illness, if I could verify that the unit is condemned and why it is condemned (mold), I could possibly use this as evidence against my ex-landlord since I was the last person to live in the apartment. What do you think? Is there a way I can officially verify that the apartment is condemned because of mold? Could I use this information against him in a court case?

quincy

You should have added this question to your other recent thread.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/environmental-toxic-torts-73/i-have-mold-exposure-illness-because-my-landlord-634020.html

To briefly answer your question here though:

No. It will not help you to show the apartment is vacant due to the mold. YOU were one of the ones responsible for the mold. YOU were the one who volunteered to clean up the toilet overflow.

Please add this question and any additional questions to your first thread. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">