• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

free1996

In my divorce agreement it states "The Defendant shall reimburse the Plaintiff ($1500.00). The Plaintiff shall have a Judgement against the defendant for this amount". I have not been able to collect any money on this. Will I have to go through the entire Small claims process or can I just start with - How to collect a judjement - the small claims court office can not give any advice in this matter, I hope you can.

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

free1996 said:
In my divorce agreement it states "The Defendant shall reimburse the Plaintiff ($1500.00). The Plaintiff shall have a Judgement against the defendant for this amount". I have not been able to collect any money on this. Will I have to go through the entire Small claims process or can I just start with - How to collect a judjement - the small claims court office can not give any advice in this matter, I hope you can.

Thanks
My response:

You already have a judgment. So, going to Small Claims court will do you absolutely no good. Small Claims court would not help you, even if you were to obtain another judgment (which you can't) because your problem is not in getting the judgment (you already have that). Your problem is in how to collect on that judgment.

The words "How To" is the key phrase. But, since you didn't bother to read the RED writing at the top of your screen, all I can tell you, then, is to go to your bookstore and get a book on "How To" collect money judgments in your State.

IAAL

B

billyjean

What state do you live in? That would help in answering your question.

F

free1996

free1996 said:

Thanks

Thank you for the advice - BTW I live in AL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">