• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change for children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Curious in NY

I live in upper state NY. My ex husband divorced me because I was pregnant and he did not want a child. Our divorce was finalized in Jan 98. My son was born in March 98. I gave my son my maiden name since I changed my name back. My son is now 2 and 1/2 years old, my ex husband wants to change my son's last name to his. I said no. Can my ex husband change the last name without my consent? I really want to keep my son's last name the same as mine, plus he knows his name.

T

theblamegame

I can't believe he divorced you b/c you were pregnant with HIS child. That is just down right heartbreaking.Did you list your ex on the birth certificate? He can't change the name without you.Why does he now want the child to have his last name if he didn't want it to begin with? I am tired of men thinking they can throw us aside b/c they don't want a baby or b/c they aren't ready to grow up and then pop back in and say,"i want to be a daddy now". Sorry, got sidetracked there. I don't think he can change the child's name without your consent but the manin factor is, did you put him on the birth certificate? You can call and ask a lawyer they can answer that over the phone more than likely.

S

sharonlynn09

He is not on the birth certificate but we did go through a paternity test that is required by NY state when you ask for child support. He says he wants his last name to carry his family name. I think it is a bunch of garbage and I am refusing because my son and I have the same last name for when he goes to school. There will not be any questions asked and I don't have to carry the ex's last name. I hope that it doesn't change. Thank you for your support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">