• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA: Can my employer force me to change the dates of my vacation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scorpioneyes

What is the name of your state? CA

I've been with my company for nearly 15 years & get 3 weeks paid vacation each year. Due to my high seniority I got first dibs on choosing vacation dates back in January. I chose to take two consecutive weeks in December.

I just got a new manager who also has high seniority. She also chose one of the same weeks I did. She is now saying I must change my 2nd week to another Dec. date because she is going out of town (Christmas week). Is this allowed, or even legal?

Here is my gripe: I've had this vacation planned since Jan '07 to spend Christmas overseas with my family. I may have to cancel these plans because I have unexpected financial matters I need to take care of (major house repair & finding new tenants for rental property. Good timing cuz my tenants move out day before vacation starts). If I don't get it done then I lose money on potential rent & I really need to be at the house during construction.

Can she really force me to cancel/change dates 10 months after I made plans?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, but in the absence of an enforceable contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, yes, she can, or even require you to cancel it altogether.

Betty

Is this allowed, or even legal?
Yes, it's allowed & legal unless you have a bona fide contract to the contrary.

It may not seem fair & may be an inconvenience but it's not illegal. She may have already made plans since the first of the year also but even if she hadn't, she can still require you to change yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">