• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company wont sign me up for health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abriney1219

I've been working for a small mom and pop aerospace company in CA since august 2016 and have inquired about insurance multiple times and they keep giving me the run around. It took a whole year for them to get me the required paperwork to fill out and i have submitted everything since august of 2017. I have never declined or opted out from signing up for insurance. The only time they seem to try to work on it is when i get frustrated with the company. Is there any legal recourse? I have no idea why they would be dragging there feet on something that is usually easy for any other company i worked for. I'm not sure if it's some type of discrimination or what. Our HR department is the owners wife and she handles all the admin. Please advise, any help would be greatly appreciated.

PayrollHRGuy

How large is the employer? By that I mean how many employees are there?

Did you sign an employment contract that promised health insurance?

abriney1219

How large is the employer? By that I mean how many employees are there?

Did you sign an employment contract that promised health insurance?
At my facility only about 13-20 people. I did not sign an employee contract but they offer insurance to all there employees.

PayrollHRGuy

How many employees total? I am asking for a reason mainly ACA related.

If they don't have enough full time or full time equivalent employees to be under ACA then the only thing they are likely doing wrong is breaking their agreement with the insurance carrier assuming there is a group policy.

ecmst12

If it's a group policy, then the plan document will strictly control when you become eligible and can sign up for benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IRS regulations dictate when an employee can be signed up for health insurance. It can't be done just any old time.

Ask for a copy of the plan Summary Plan Description (abbreviated SPD). They are required to give it to you on request. Please note that if it is published on the website (which is often the case) that may be sufficient - also they do have some time to give it to you (I've forgotten exactly how long but I think it's somewhere between two weeks and 30 days). The eligibility periods will be included in the SPD. When you have it, come back to this thread and I will help you read it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">