• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wei210

Dependent Fexible Spending Account

Hello, Cbg and tranquility, appreciated very much your instant response, I am so impressed about this website that I could get instant help, what an amazing website.

I had the very similar situation with Borrayo, I am from Texas, This is my first time enrolled FSA, and I am not familiar at all how the system works, I took the assumption I should take care of this before I do the tax-returns, and apparently I missed the deadline(huge mistake), and then called the flexible spending account (FSA) company, they asked me work with HR benefit officer before file anything online as I already passed the deadline, after I explained my situation, they told me nothing they could do about it.

While I understood the rules made for a reason, myself feel this is not fair, the money had been took from my paycheck, they even charge me administrative fee ($12 each account for medical and child care), but no email reminder at all either from the FSA company nor from my HR, and now I lost all those money.

Still, I appreciated it very much if anybody here could give me some suggestions: I) any materials I could use for a appeal letter; II) since the chance to get the money back is low, similar as Borrayo original asked, how do I claim the loss of that amount money when I do tax-return. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again,

tranquility

While I understood the rules made for a reason, myself feel this is not fair, the money had been took from my paycheck, they even charge me administrative fee ($12 each account for medical and child care), but no email reminder at all either from the FSA company nor from my HR, and now I lost all those money.
I don't think it fair the government takes so much of my pay and gives it to reasons I disagree with. Who do I see about that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You lost the money because you could not be bothered to find out the rules and the deadlines. That is 100% on you. Your employer is not going to violate the law. nor is the IRS going to give you a pass, because you did not "understand" how it worked.The law does not give one hoot if it's fair.

juniper

If flexible spending account claims must be submitted by March 31, I wonder if this means that they need to be mailed by then or received by them at a location several states away. Because I did mail my receipts and forms on March 31, but my envelope might end up being postmarked April 1.

Does anyone think I will get my reimbursement ($2500)? My employer used to send out reminders, which I appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If it's postmarked March 31, you will. If it's postmarked April 1, it's possible but not by any stretch of the imagination guaranteed. I can tell you it would NOT be paid if you worked for my employer.

Well, not unless you could show us your plane ticket showing that your plane returning you from the Amazon jungle didn't get in until 9:00 the night of March 31 and that you'd been there since December.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
True. I can't imagine why anyone would mail something that time sensitive when there are so many more immediate methods available. However, IF mailed through the US Postal Service, it's the postmark that will count, as opposed to the day it is received.

Hestersue430

Dependent care flex spending account

I'm following the tread as I also missed the deadline to file. I took on a new role at the start of the year in addition to a several month project that consumed most of my time (I also run a public school fundraiser which ran during the same time period). Regardless, this is my mistake and I own that. I understand the cutoff period and that the money can't be returned for use as dependent care reimbursement. My question is - if the money has been returned to my employer, then isn't it at their discretion to choose to return it? I assume it would then be taxed, and possibly penalized, but how are they allowed to keep the money? Also, aren't the plans required to notify the participants near the end of the submission period?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They are allowed to keep the money because the law expressly gives them permission to keep it.

No, there is no requirement that participants be warned that they are reaching the end of the submission period. Many if not most do so voluntarily; however, it is the participant's responsibility to make their submissions on time and keep track of when the deadline is; it is not the responsibility of the employer to remind them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">