• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relocation repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfnbo01

What is the name of your state? indiana company is in nebraska

I just relocated to indiana to work for a division of a company in indiana when they decide to close it down and bring it in house to nebraska. we were offered a position and relocation. we signed in April and were to move in august. we recieved $20,000. if we didn't accept the offer we would get $12,000 severence pay. I accepted but personal issues arose and I quit in august after accepting in April. The letter stated

*You must reimburse (xxxxxxx) a pro-rated amount if you voluntarily terminate your employment or are released for cause (to include, but not limited to negligence, performance or insubordination) prior to the completion of eighteen months of employment with (xxxxxxxx).

I've been with the company for a year total would I only have to pay a prorated of the six months left or would it start when I signed the letter and also who decides what the prorate would be it was never mentioned.

jfnbo01

here's the letter

I had been working for the company since 8/2/2005 I quit 8/23/2005

March 9, 2005

name

Dear ?
We value you as an employee and appreciate your dedication to(xxxxx). This letter is to outline the proposed offer of employment being extended to you.

Employee ID: xxx
Department: xxx
Work Location: xxxx
Supervisor: xxx
Job Title: xxxx
Work Hours: M-F, 8-5

Salary: xxxxx per month

Moving Allowance*: $20,000 allowance to be used for, but not limited to, sales commission on the sale of your existing home, closing costs, house hunting trip to xxxxx, temporary living expenses, mileage and the physical move of your household goods.

*You must reimburse xxxxxxx a pro-rated amount if you voluntarily terminate your employment or are released for cause (to include, but not limited to negligence, performance or insubordination) prior to the completion of eighteen months of employment with xxxxxx.

Start Date: 4/1/2005
Next Review Date: 8/2/05

Nothing in this letter may be construed as a contract or guarantee of employment for a definite period of time.

At the time you receive this offer letter, you will have 30 days to review and notify the Employment Center of any discrepancies. Please call the Employment Center at xxxxx

Signed

xxxxxxxxxx date: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I get the feeling those funds were spent on anything but the intended purpose and probably almost immediately with no intent to relocate. I would say you might have to cough up a rather large sum of the money. You signed an agreement, you took the money and then you quit. The 18 month period probably started when you actually started work in the new location.

But you better run it by an Atty in your area.

jfnbo01

intended

We intended to move but some personal issues arose that we couldn't. it was about $11,000 after taxes and used most of it to prepare for the move. I still have little over half of it left. Who decides on the prorated amount since I was there for 4 months and if it wasn't stated can they just make up an amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">