• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Told I have no paid holiday leave despite what contract says

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FatParisian

I have been working for a company for just over a year now, starting in September 2016 and for the first year was given my paid annual leave with no fuss. In September 2017 it relaunched as a new company, but still with the same management etc. When I signed the new contract, I was told that I did have paid annual leave, albeit very briefly mentioned.

I requested 7 days' holiday in August for the beginning of October and took it off under the presumption it was a part of my paid annual leave. As we are at the end of October I was expecting a full months' salary, but was told yesterday that in fact I don't have any paid annual leave and that I only get the paid annual leave AFTER I have completed 12 months with the "new" company.

I looked at my contract at it states that;

"You shall be entitled to fourteen working days' annual leave for each 12 calendar months."

As a student lawyer, I would say that this doesn't agree with what I have just been told. Should I bring this up?

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As an experienced HR professional I don't see that it says what you think at all. But since you've taken one isolated sentence out of context and we can't see the rest of the "contract" (which very likely is not a contract at all) or any language that might clarify or modify it, I don't think anyone here can give you a carved in stone answer.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I have been working for a company for just over a year now, starting in September 2016 and for the first year was given my paid annual leave with no fuss. In September 2017 it relaunched as a new company, but still with the same management etc. When I signed the new contract, I was told that I did have paid annual leave, albeit very briefly mentioned.

I requested 7 days' holiday in August for the beginning of October and took it off under the presumption it was a part of my paid annual leave. As we are at the end of October I was expecting a full months' salary, but was told yesterday that in fact I don't have any paid annual leave and that I only get the paid annual leave AFTER I have completed 12 months with the "new" company.

I looked at my contract at it states that;

"You shall be entitled to fourteen working days' annual leave for each 12 calendar months."

As a student lawyer, I would say that this doesn't agree with what I have just been told. Should I bring this up?

Thanks
Given your user name and the use of the word "holiday" rather than vacation, I will assume you are not in the US. There's a reason your state is asked for; employment law varies by state. I don't think we have any experts on European employment law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">