• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My "2nd" chance has come...sorta

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iescaped

What is the name of your state? So nebby...

(Reader's Digest, as I've already talked about this on here...) Alright, so...went awol 16 May 05, after grad. from BCT at Leonardwood, but prior to shipping to AIT. AWOL reasons were a mix of personal, and military based. Personal will stay that way, military was the denial of my S.C., (for no logical reasons) loss of 15K sign on bonus, loss of FLRP, and re-class options of truck driver, cook, or combat arms.
Turned myself in to Ft. Sill on 10 July 05, did my 4 days, walked out with a Ch. 10, and a very, very false sense of accomplishment...which lasted a week.
***Quick disclaimer - My wife has a great job, and I was/am self employed before going in. The Ch.10 itself did not damage my ability to support us/live life.***

The following is 100% true. After that initial week, it would take me about an hour to fall asleep at night. I would think about it every day, more than 10 times a day, I would dream about it. I became secretly OBSESSED with all things military. I didn't go back to work at first. All I did was watch the Military Channel, read this forum, and other military sites all day long. This has continued in varying degrees to this day, nearly 2 years later. (obviously, I started working again:) )
I heard reports that the Nat'l Gaurd will take you with an RE-4, so I gave them a call. (This was after I applied for a waiver with the Reg. Army, and was denied) I was granted a waiver to enlist into the National Guard. NOT what I wanted, but WILL take anything I can get.

One question for all of you opinion junkies out there;) ...

What does it say about a guy who is willing to go through BCT twice? Foolish, or determined...?

Anyway, wanted to share my good fortune.

SHORTY LONG

Since you follow the requested rules in here when it asked
for your State, then, my reply is: If you were to go Navy, then
whatever floats your boat. But since you are not, then go
for it! Hopefully in time, the hair of the dog will subside. :rolleyes:

(Reader's Digest, as I've already talked about this on here...) Alright, so...went awol 16 May 05, after grad. from BCT at Leonardwood, but prior to shipping to AIT. AWOL reasons were a mix of personal, and military based. Personal will stay that way, military was the denial of my S.C., (for no logical reasons) loss of 15K sign on bonus, loss of FLRP, and re-class options of truck driver, cook, or combat arms.
Turned myself in to Ft. Sill on 10 July 05, did my 4 days, walked out with a Ch. 10, and a very, very false sense of accomplishment...which lasted a week.
***Quick disclaimer - My wife has a great job, and I was/am self employed before going in. The Ch.10 itself did not damage my ability to support us/live life.***

The following is 100% true. After that initial week, it would take me about an hour to fall asleep at night. I would think about it every day, more than 10 times a day, I would dream about it. I became secretly OBSESSED with all things military. I didn't go back to work at first. All I did was watch the Military Channel, read this forum, and other military sites all day long. This has continued in varying degrees to this day, nearly 2 years later. (obviously, I started working again:) )
I heard reports that the Nat'l Gaurd will take you with an RE-4, so I gave them a call. (This was after I applied for a waiver with the Reg. Army, and was denied) I was granted a waiver to enlist into the National Guard. NOT what I wanted, but WILL take anything I can get.

What does it say about a guy who is willing to go through BCT twice? Foolish, or determined...?

What was the characterization of your discharge?

SHORTY LONG

Please accept my apology for getting in your case about not
listing a State. My mistake. I do however hope all works out
for you, and the baleful effects that follow with your OTH subside
with the help of your going into the National Guard! Best of luck in
your new endeavors Mr. determined.
:)

iescaped

Cyberspook - Characterization = "In Lieu of Court Martial" I tried to get back into Active, but was denied the waiver. (I have since sent for a "Change of Military Records" to have my RE-4 upgraded to an RE-3, which recruiter felt very likely would be waiverable)

Shorty - No worries. I have thick skin. :) And besides, I have good reason. (I think)

1. NOBODY, except my wife, knows the real reason I left the army. Everyone I know believes it was due to medical reasons. There are people on this forum, who know people I know, etc., so I'd like to keep myself as ambiguous as possible

2. To my knowledge, the asking of your location is for law questsions where certain laws may differ state to state. In my situation, that doesn't count. :p

sweetpeaches

Sometimes we learn from what we do and other times from what we don't do. As long as you are providing for your family you are a determined man. We all make mistakes which are unintentional blunders and a decision is an informed choice, good or bad. Overcome the past to live for today and prepare for tomorrow. Best wishes....:)

iescaped

Sometimes we learn from what we do and other times from what we don't do. As long as you are providing for your family you are a determined man. We all make mistakes which are unintentional blunders and a decision is an informed choice, good or bad. Overcome the past to live for today and prepare for tomorrow. Best wishes....:)

Thanks very much, I appreciate it. :)

Quick question for anyone? If you are National Gaurd, can you "switch over" to active?

geoffc2

Re 4

First off bad news. The FY 07 ECM states that RE-4 are not eligible now waiver authorized. Your recruiter seems to be selling you on getting your discharge upgraded and that will have to happen first. If and when you get your discharge changed, i suggest you go to the GKO website and click on the button Volunteer for a Deployment. I know you have a wife and family but if you get to deploy, then you will be allowed to stay in the Active Duty. This will be offered to you at the DeMOB site so pay attention to the briefings. The NG and Reserve offer several other options for going Active but none are 100%. Good Luck on getting your RE code upgraded. BTW for others reading this post, about every other year or so the Enlistment Criteria Manual will allow waivers for RE 4 from the Navy, and occasionally Air Force or Marines. Have not allowed RE 4 from Army in at least 12 years.

Interesting...(not challanging your knowledge, in anyway....)

BUT (lol)

I'm scheduled for MEPS next week...:confused:

They took you with a RE-4 and an OTH with a discharge of in lieu of trial by court martial?

Don't get me wrong. I am happy that you are getting your "second chance" and hope you don't screw it up. I have seen a lot of good guys (and bad ones) leave the service that way and untill now have not heard of anyone getting back in. I just find it hard to believe that they would take you with all that bad paper.

iescaped

They took you with a RE-4 and an OTH with a discharge of in lieu of trial by court martial?

Don't get me wrong. I am happy that you are getting your "second chance" and hope you don't screw it up. I have seen a lot of good guys (and bad ones) leave the service that way and untill now have not heard of anyone getting back in. I just find it hard to believe that they would take you with all that bad paper.
This time will not be a screw up...I can assure you of that.

I was surprised too...however, I'll take the blessing...

kwohl

This time will not be a screw up...I can assure you of that.

I was surprised too...however, I'll take the blessing...
well in the guard you will go home after AIT, so probably for the better, i think the RA could solve a few awol problems by providing such an option (i.e., go RA to ARNG), but it would never happen, and just my opinion.

by-the-way what state are you from? it does matter because its your state ng giving the waiver. i'm aware that some states gave RE-4 waivers a few years ago like in 03 and 04, but recently i haven't heard of anything.

good luck.

-kevin

I

iwentawol

heres some advice on the RE4 of things from my own personal EXP, i joined the navy in 04 and got an uncharacterized discharge with an RE4, the national guard took me in with a RE4 code Waiver, so yes they will take you, and sadly now im awol from the guard LMAO, anyway good luck to you, i know how you feel about a second chance, just think it through though, you dont wanna go Awol again LOL.

I

iwentawol

my enlistment date was june 22 2006, so yes theres some rescent RE4 waiver for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">