• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant and divorcing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

(This post is kind of like two subjects in one so I'm posting it in two sectionns...)

I'm 22 years old.. lived in PA, moved to CA and got married to my husband. We married this past December. Our agreement prior to getting married was that when we had children we would move back east to be with my family. When I turned up pregnant, he refused to move!!! I came back east to get some time away and de-stress (since the end of March, it is now June) but since I've been here he will hardly talk to me or try to work ANYTHING out. He goes back and forth and plays games, one day he says he loves me and wants me to come back which I was going to and then yesterday tells me he's sending me papers for annulment. WHAT?! :eek: Can he even get an annulment? I thought he had no grounds for this.. there was no fraud on my part, I'm not underage, we clearly have had sexual relations being that I'm pregnant, he wasn't forced by me to be married, we're not related.. so what other grounds could there be? He has a 4 year old son from a previous relationship that he has joint custody of (oh, he left his son's mother after their son was born too!) Do you have any idea what may happen as far as my child and custody goes (I'm 5 months pregnant)? Remember he lives in California and I am in Pennsylvania. He is going to try and get full custody of our baby. I live with my parents and I'm not currently working (due to pregnancy) and he claims they'll give him custody because he has his own place and a job. Do you know if he will have to come here for family court dates or will I have to go to California? Sorry this is so long but I'm totally clueless and worried... my first child and I'm so worried about everything.. please help.What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

(This post is kind of like two subjects in one so I'm posting it in two sectionns...)

I'm 22 years old.. lived in PA, moved to CA and got married to my husband. We married this past December. Our agreement prior to getting married was that when we had children we would move back east to be with my family. When I turned up pregnant, he refused to move!!! I came back east to get some time away and de-stress (since the end of March, it is now June) but since I've been here he will hardly talk to me or try to work ANYTHING out. He goes back and forth and plays games, one day he says he loves me and wants me to come back which I was going to and then yesterday tells me he's sending me papers for annulment. WHAT?! :eek: Can he even get an annulment? I thought he had no grounds for this.. there was no fraud on my part, I'm not underage, we clearly have had sexual relations being that I'm pregnant, he wasn't forced by me to be married, we're not related.. so what other grounds could there be? He has a 4 year old son from a previous relationship that he has joint custody of (oh, he left his son's mother after their son was born too!) Do you have any idea what may happen as far as my child and custody goes (I'm 5 months pregnant)? Remember he lives in California and I am in Pennsylvania. He is going to try and get full custody of our baby. I live with my parents and I'm not currently working (due to pregnancy) and he claims they'll give him custody because he has his own place and a job. Do you know if he will have to come here for family court dates or will I have to go to California? Sorry this is so long but I'm totally clueless and worried... my first child and I'm so worried about everything.. please help.What is the name of your state?
At 22 don't you think your old enough to cut the apron strings?

Jaded

What do you mean cut the apron strings? As in wanting to be with my family? You don't think moving across the country was doing that? It was something we both agreed upon before being married. I'm very close with my family... our child is going to be a biracial child and I think it's important for him or her to know about their background and NOT just based on their one parent. I could go on for days. Anyway, the situation isn't about that, it goes beyond... clearly... so I dunno why in the world you would say that out of everything I typed up there? It's not the issue. I was willing to come to some kind of compromise about that, but he wasn't. That's the bottom line.

Just Blue

What do you mean cut the apron strings? As in wanting to be with my family? You don't think moving across the country was doing that? It was something we both agreed upon before being married. I'm very close with my family... our child is going to be a biracial child and I think it's important for him or her to know about their background and NOT just based on their one parent. I could go on for days. Anyway, the situation isn't about that, it goes beyond... clearly... so I dunno why in the world you would say that out of everything I typed up there? It's not the issue. I was willing to come to some kind of compromise about that, but he wasn't. That's the bottom line.
Those other things are being addressed on your other thread. Close this one.

BoredAtty

Can he even get an annulment? I thought he had no grounds for this.. there was no fraud on my part, I'm not underage, we clearly have had sexual relations being that I'm pregnant, he wasn't forced by me to be married, we're not related.. so what other grounds could there be?
No, he cannot get an annulment.

He is going to try and get full custody of our baby. I live with my parents and I'm not currently working (due to pregnancy) and he claims they'll give him custody because he has his own place and a job.
He's wrong. Those factors alone will not determine who gets custody. The court will base its decision on the best interests of the child, and a range of factors become relevant. That's not to say that he won't get custody, but he won't get it merely because he has his own place and a job. And to be honest, it's doubtful he would get custody since the courts (unfairly) still favor women.

Do you know if he will have to come here for family court dates or will I have to go to California?
Assuming you maintain PA residency, you will both have to go through the PA courts since that will be the child's home state.

MyHouse

I don't think it is unreasonable to want the child to have a relationship with its grandparents. I was moved away from my grandparents at age 4 and I always missed them. Besides, he agreed to move back if they had children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">