• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody schedule confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Calimom3

What is the name of your state? CA

OK... here's another one for your brilliant minds.... My EH and share joint custody. He has them during the school year, and I see them on Wed. from 3:00-8:00 PM and 3 weekends a month. During the summer, the schedule reverses, this schedule starts on the 2nd Sat. after school ends and continues through to the 2nd Sat. before school begins. It has been in place since last June.

Now, the children's school year ended on June 14th, and the summer schedule starts this Sat. so there is a dead week. There was also a dead week before the children went back to school in the fall and during this time, I saw them on the school schedule which is Wed. and Friday through the Sunday before Labor Day.

My EH is now saying that this is not my time with the children, because our agreement states that " Petitioner shall have Wed. from 3:00 to 8:00 PM and 3 weekends a month during the school year" and technically, the school year was over June 14th. I am saying this is my time because the summer schedule has not technically started. We had also had a conversation in which we confirmed that I would be picking the girls up on Wed. and Friday of this week.

My questions are:

Based on what the agreement states, is my time still on Wed. from 3:00-8:00?
When there is confusion, what should I revert back to? Especially, if there are 2 interpretations of the schedule?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

OK... here's another one for your brilliant minds.... My EH and share joint custody. He has them during the school year, and I see them on Wed. from 3:00-8:00 PM and 3 weekends a month. During the summer, the schedule reverses, this schedule starts on the 2nd Sat. after school ends and continues through to the 2nd Sat. before school begins. It has been in place since last June.

Now, the children's school year ended on June 14th, and the summer schedule starts this Sat. so there is a dead week. There was also a dead week before the children went back to school in the fall and during this time, I saw them on the school schedule which is Wed. and Friday through the Sunday before Labor Day.

My EH is now saying that this is not my time with the children, because our agreement states that " Petitioner shall have Wed. from 3:00 to 8:00 PM and 3 weekends a month during the school year" and technically, the school year was over June 14th. I am saying this is my time because the summer schedule has not technically started. We had also had a conversation in which we confirmed that I would be picking the girls up on Wed. and Friday of this week.

My questions are:

When there is confusion, what should I revert back to? Especially, if there are 2 interpretations of the schedule?What is the name of your state?
I think that your ex is in the right on this one. I would interpret it the way that he is interpretting it.

weenor

My questions are:

The agreement/order defines the rights you have. Generally if the agreement/order does not address a particular issue, then you cannot interpret it to give you additional time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">