• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-Mother from HELL & going slong with it!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloopy

You would have to pay the filing fee to do so.
Worth it. Small potatoes compared to the court costs, lawyer... that she fears.

But wnbama needs a lot of particulars, such as leashing stepmom, included and that is harder to do without an actual court appearance.

Perhaps if a GAL were involved Dad could be ordered to filter his allegations through the GAL.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Where I can get the paperwork to file this stuff and where to find out how much the filing fee would be?

Also, I live in St. Clair, COunty, he lives in Jefferson County, our child support is in Jefferson beacuse I lives there when it got started and I left it there. So, which county do I file it in?
If you've lived in St. Clair for more than 6 months, I'd suggest a trip to Pell City to the county court house. I don't think there's any kind of court paperwork online, so you'll have to drive there or call the court house.

wnbama

If you've lived in St. Clair for more than 6 months, I'd suggest a trip to Pell City to the county court house. I don't think there's any kind of court paperwork online, so you'll have to drive there or call the court house.
What if I just moved to St. Clair County in Jan. 2008 can I still file it here or do I have ot go back to Jefferson County?

wnbama

Worth it. Small potatoes compared to the court costs, lawyer... that she fears.

But wnbama needs a lot of particulars, such as leashing stepmom, included and that is harder to do without an actual court appearance.

Perhaps if a GAL were involved Dad could be ordered to filter his allegations through the GAL.
Is a GAL appointed or do I have to hire one? If I have to hire one does anyone know the aprox fee? or how to find out?

Is a GAL appointed or do I have to hire one? If I have to hire one does anyone know the aprox fee? or how to find out?
The court would have to appoint one. Generally the cost would be split between the two parties. Fees Range from $2000-$10000 depending on the case and the level of involvement necessary.

My case, which is probably not the typical seeing as the X has pulled many wild stunts that require attention from the GAL, is at $5500 in GAL fees. This is actually pretty good since I believe our GAL only charges $100 per hour. Some charge signigicantly more. My case started in 1/07, Gal was appointed 3/07 and we are set for trial next month. I imagine we will be adding on at least $2000 just for the trial attendance. Sighhhh!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What if I just moved to St. Clair County in Jan. 2008 can I still file it here or do I have ot go back to Jefferson County?
You can call the court house in Pell City to double check, but you'll probably have to file paperwork in B'ham.

wnbama

The court would have to appoint one. Generally the cost would be split between the two parties. Fees Range from $2000-$10000 depending on the case and the level of involvement necessary.

My case, which is probably not the typical seeing as the X has pulled many wild stunts that require attention from the GAL, is at $5500 in GAL fees. This is actually pretty good since I believe our GAL only charges $100 per hour. Some charge signigicantly more. My case started in 1/07, Gal was appointed 3/07 and we are set for trial next month. I imagine we will be adding on at least $2000 just for the trial attendance. Sighhhh!
I guess I won't be going that route! Of course unless I'm court ordered too....O Well it was just a thought.

Bloopy

Escape2Paradise is spot on for the fees.

However GAL’s, particularly when court ordered, can work on a sliding scale, Pro Bono (cheaper, not free) and for the state covering part of the tab.

Income criteria would be a factor as well as the severity of the need.

Paying for a GAL would cut though all the BS. THAT could save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

wnbama

Escape2Paradise is spot on for the fees.

However GAL’s, particularly when court ordered, can work on a sliding scale, Pro Bono (cheaper, not free) and for the state covering part of the tab.

Income criteria would be a factor as well as the severity of the need.

Paying for a GAL would cut though all the BS. THAT could save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
Well, it sounds like a GAL is a good idea! But in order for it to be court ordered wouldn't I have ot go to court? and HOw would I do that...file to give him his rights? I really don't think it's my place to "give"him his rights...but at this point...make it all go away...LOL

majomom1

Well, it sounds like a GAL is a good idea! But in order for it to be court ordered wouldn't I have ot go to court? and HOw would I do that...file to give him his rights? I really don't think it's my place to "give"him his rights...but at this point...make it all go away...LOL
Yes, you would have to go through the courts, but that is a plus for you too. It gives you the ability to enforce YOUR rights and will help put a stop to the interference.

wnbama

Yes, you would have to go through the courts, but that is a plus for you too. It gives you the ability to enforce YOUR rights and will help put a stop to the interference.
I'm about broke at this point, after spending money to fin off DHR after their false reports. I just wonder how much it will really cost me to get this down. $2000, $3000? Could I ask the court to have NCP help with the cost of this?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
A lawyer in Pell City quoted me 1500. She said that was about standard for the retainer. (Even though I don't live in St. Clair any more... the case is in Blount co.; she and I went to HS together and I thought I'd give her first shot.:p)

But that seems about average cost in central Alabama. Call around, talk to some lawyers. Most of them will do a bit of free consult so you can decide who you can work with. Alabama does not seem to have a large pro-bono pool, especially for custody.

wnbama

A lawyer in Pell City quoted me 1500. She said that was about standard for the retainer. (Even though I don't live in St. Clair any more... the case is in Blount co.; she and I went to HS together and I thought I'd give her first shot.:p)

But that seems about average cost in central Alabama. Call around, talk to some lawyers. Most of them will do a bit of free consult so you can decide who you can work with. Alabama does not seem to have a large pro-bono pool, especially for custody.
$1500....is what it cost me to fight DHR on false reports from the NCP, you would think since it's already agreed upon, I could get it cheaper. However, Everyone is tell me the same aprox amount. If I was to go this route and could I ask for my fees back from the NCP in the court order as well? I mean I am giving him his rights after all. He should pay atleast the very least half of it. Don't you think?

Had to throw in my 2 cents. Under NO circumstances, let this child visit with them until you have a court order and when you do ask for supervised visitation due to the mental abuse being heaped upon this poor child. Ask that step-mom be told that she is to have NO contact with you and ALL communications go by e-mail, cellphone or regular mail RR.
Tell the judge about the calls to DHS and that this is also creating turmoil for the child and that he is more interested in disturbing you than raising a healthy and happy child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">