• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this an "earned" or "unearned" income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torellian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am currently on SSI and SSDI disability. In the past, I have had my SSI reduced by job wages, which are called earned income. I have also had income from unemployment, which they call unearned income, and they take 100% of whatever I get in Unemployment out of my SSI.

Now, I'm being summoned to court to testify for the state as a witness. On the subpoena, it says that I can "register for witness fees". Now for my question: If I get paid to be a witness for the state in court, is this considered by SSI to be earned, or unearned income? If it's unearned, then SSI will take all of it, and it would just result in me doing more paperwork and paying postage to mail them the check stub. I figure in that case, it would be better to simply refuse the payment.

BL

How is "unearned income" defined for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) purposes?

Answer
"Unearned income" is all income that is not earned from your job or from your business. Some common types of unearned income are:
The value of food or shelter that someone gives you, or the amount of money they give you to help pay for them;
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits;
Railroad retirement and railroad unemployment benefits;
Annuities, pensions from any government or private source, workers' compensation, unemployment insurance benefits, black lung benefits and Social Security benefits;
Prizes, lottery winnings, settlements and awards, including court-ordered awards;
Proceeds of life insurance policies;
Gifts and contributions;
Support and alimony payments;
Inheritances in cash or property;
Rental income; and
Strike pay and other benefits from unions.

[email protected]

"Prizes, lottery winnings, settlements and awards, including court-ordered awards;"

Is "court ordered award" which was granted as a result of a job contract lawsuit entered into by SSDI recipient AFTER applying for and receiving SSI/SSDI status, earned or unearned income?

Can judge legally award a SSDI recipient for job services agreement they entered into after they have been declared unable to work by SSA?

I can't wrap my brain around this. Help?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Write to your congressman about it.....
Nah - I feel that people who need the help should get it. It just offends me that you are trying to figure out how NOT to repay any of it.
Again, the $ amount is fairly small, but it speaks VOLUMES about your character.

Torellian

Nah - I feel that people who need the help should get it. It just offends me that you are trying to figure out how NOT to repay any of it.
Again, the $ amount is fairly small, but it speaks VOLUMES about your character.
How can you say that? How do you know if I need it or not?
Don't worry about what is repaid to whom. Don't you think it's silly for me to accept a payment from one part of the government only to turn around and have to pay it to a different part of the government? Not doing this actually saves money.

Torellian

Yep - saves YOU money. Of course, the money it's saving was given to you, but hey, I guess your moral compass wanders around a bit more than mine. :rolleyes:
It saves money for all involved. The court writes me a check, then I have to inform Social Security about it, then they send me a letter saying I have to pay them that amount, then I mail them my check, then they process it. That costs money. If I refuse the court's payment, then none of this has to happen. Government operations are such a complicated and expensive thing. Why not limit it when possible? :rolleyes:

Zigner

It saves money for all involved. The court writes me a check, then I have to inform Social Security about it, then they send me a letter saying I have to pay them that amount, then I mail them my check, then they process it. That costs money. If I refuse the court's payment, then none of this has to happen. Government operations are such a complicated and expensive thing. Why not limit it when possible? :rolleyes:
You have a gift for rationalization.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am currently on SSI and SSDI disability. In the past, I have had my SSI reduced by job wages, which are called earned income. I have also had income from unemployment, which they call unearned income, and they take 100% of whatever I get in Unemployment out of my SSI.

Now, I'm being summoned to court to testify for the state as a witness. On the subpoena, it says that I can "register for witness fees". Now for my question: If I get paid to be a witness for the state in court, is this considered by SSI to be earned, or unearned income? If it's unearned, then SSI will take all of it, and it would just result in me doing more paperwork and paying postage to mail them the check stub. I figure in that case, it would be better to simply refuse the payment.
They'll only pay you if you register for the witness fees. Don't register and you won't have any issues with the SSA. Simple enough, no moral relativism, nothing. :cool:

Zigner

They'll only pay you if you register for the witness fees. Don't register and you won't have any issues with the SSA. Simple enough, no moral relativism, nothing. :cool:
OP doesn't want to GET the money because then he'd have to send it to the Gov't to reimburse them some of what he's GIVEN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">