• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations on parking violation in colorado?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dna316

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
Ok so i got a letter in the mail from a law firm claiming i have something like 18 outstanding parking violations in denver co. the vehicle and the adress they have on file is one of my very old adresses from 1998-99 and the car was mine, but i sold the car and never got a sales reciept. the car was not running at the time of the sale. I moved days after selling the car, and the person i sold it to must have left the car sitting at my old apt for some time before retrieving it. in that period of time the vehicle must have accumulated the parking violations. So what is the statue of limitations on parking violations in the state of colorado?
I don't want to have to pay nearly1,000 dollars in parking violations i personaly didnt accumulate. at the time i was around 19-20 yrs of age and didnt think any problems would arrise in the future, i should have made a sales reciept.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
Ok so i got a letter in the mail from a law firm claiming i have something like 18 outstanding parking violations in denver co. the vehicle and the adress they have on file is one of my very old adresses from 1998-99 and the car was mine, but i sold the car and never got a sales reciept. the car was not running at the time of the sale. I moved days after selling the car, and the person i sold it to must have left the car sitting at my old apt for some time before retrieving it. in that period of time the vehicle must have accumulated the parking violations. So what is the statue of limitations on parking violations in the state of colorado?
I don't want to have to pay nearly1,000 dollars in parking violations i personaly didnt accumulate. at the time i was around 19-20 yrs of age and didnt think any problems would arrise in the future, i should have made a sales reciept.
**A: pay up**************..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
do you know if there is a statue of limitations or not?
Yes - and it ended the moment the ticket was written.

I know that answer will confuse you. So, to simplify...the tickets don't "expire" - they are still valid and, obviously, on record.

ETA: Furthermore, your time to appeal is LONG past.

dna316

Yes - and it ended the moment the ticket was written.

I know that answer will confuse you. So, to simplify...the tickets don't "expire" - they are still valid and, obviously, on record.

ETA: Furthermore, your time to appeal is LONG past.
but my father in ny had like 38 outstanding tickets and he waited like 8 or 10 years to reregister the car or get a new lisence or something like that and he said it worked and that their was a statue of limitations on tickets and such.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
but my father in ny had like 38 outstanding tickets and he waited like 8 or 10 years to reregister the car or get a new lisence or something like that and he said it worked and that their was a statue of limitations on tickets and such.
Good for dad in NY!

seniorjudge

What state are you in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">