• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removal of 18 year old's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gejewels

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
So, my daughter thought life here was really bad. She was expected to get at least a "C" average in school, get a job, be respectful (no destructive behavior), and don't ditch class.
Apparently, she has decided the easiest thing for her to do would be move out. Her boyfriend came and picked her up with a friend. Later that night, she found another male friend that hooked her up with a place to live, cell phone, and I don't know what else. Guess who became the new boyfriend that same night?
To make a long story short, she was just here with a police officer to get more of her things. The officer was waiting outside the bank for me when I got done with my errands. I would like to make her remove all of her things from my home now. There is no reason why I should be a storage facility or be embarrassed by having the cops track me down every time she wants something else from her room.
Technically, I don't think I have to evict her because she has already removed herself although it has only been a week. How do I legally make her remove her belongings from my home?
The officer that was here explained that he did not have all day to stand here while she got her stuff yet, I must allow her to get them otherwise it is theft. I will not and cannot be at her beck and call. I'm sick of the law allowing her to call the shots.
Thank you in advance.

BL

Give her written 30 days to retrieve her belongings , or you will dispose of them as you wish .

gejewels

Thank you very much BL. I cannot believe how the law protects them but not me. The one that is paying for the mortgage on a room that will be considered a storage room until she chooses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you very much BL. I cannot believe how the law protects them but not me. The one that is paying for the mortgage on a room that will be considered a storage room until she chooses.
The law WILL protect you, so long as you follow the law ;)

TinkerBelleLuvr

I'm still puzzled why a police officer would have been there. If it's just been a week, I would be surprised if there had been a court order. This would seem to be just a civil case, and not a criminal case based on the OP's post.

As stated earlier, I would send a certified, return request receipt, along with a regular letter, that you want the items removed by (your 30 days notice) to the most recent known address.

Since the daughter was there, landlord/tenant rules will prevail.

Personally, daughter is acting in a stupid fashion. It is never a good idea to burn bridges cuz you never know when you might need them.

Mrs. D

It's possible the daughter told the police she had been thrown out. Also possible she told them she was not permitted to get her stuff on a previous occasion. Doesn't matter if it's true or not, that's what she probably told them.

Whatever you do...DON'T let her move back in. She'll learn a lot of lessons real quick! Change your locks in case she has a key.

I agree with the others, give her notice to remove her stuff.

(Funny, I was required to get straight A's, or else no leaving my room, much less the house, for the entire next grading period :D)

FarmerJ

The notice you were planing on sending regular mail, send it with whats called certificate of mailing, it gives a receipt that shows that sender did indeed send something to sendee. OR next step up confirmed mail delivery, beside the certified one , this way both of your methods will give you reciepts incase you must prove you sent the notices. IF the certified needing signature notices come back to you DO NOT OPEN , set it aside intact so the court can see that the addressee, your daughter refused picking it up.

HuAi

How many of these things are actually her posessions? Discounting personal items of clothing - who paid for the furniture, etc? If you did, then it's your stuff and you can do what you wish with it.

gejewels

She told the officer that she moved out however, she was concerned that I would cause an "issue" when retrieving her stuff. I'm sure that was all said to make the drama even larger for the "new" family she is living with. She lives and breathes on drama and lies.
After all of this yesterday afternoon, she messaged me and told me how miserable she was and can't believe how hard it is to be an adult.
As for the question of her possessions, I have been told, again by a police officer, that anything purchased for her use it to be considered a gift. Therefore, it legally belongs to her now.

BL

She told the officer that she moved out however, she was concerned that I would cause an "issue" when retrieving her stuff. I'm sure that was all said to make the drama even larger for the "new" family she is living with. She lives and breathes on drama and lies.
After all of this yesterday afternoon, she messaged me and told me how miserable she was and can't believe how hard it is to be an adult.
As for the question of her possessions, I have been told, again by a police officer, that anything purchased for her use it to be considered a gift. Therefore, it legally belongs to her now.
The Law can not make/order you to give up the furniture you provide for your home/room .

The window treatments are yours .

Any carpeting laid down is yours .

Personal belongings / gifts , etc. yes .

Who's Liable?

OP may want to consider sending the daughter another CRR letter stating she is NOT welcome back at the house and will be treated as a trespasser. Harsh as it may seem, it will provide the proof needed to show she can't just walk in when she feels like it...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">