• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My daughter is placing unborn baby up for adoption, what are my rights in florida.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshinefl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. My daughter is preg. and intent on placing the baby up for adoption. Do I have any rights to adoption of this child?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. My daughter is preg. and intent on placing the baby up for adoption. Do I have any rights to adoption of this child?
You have the right to be a loving and supportive parent to YOUR child. You have the right (and obligation) to allow your daughter to be a loving and supportive parent to HER child (even if that means giving the child up for adoption)

xylene

You as grandma do not have some kind of 'first right of refusal' to adopt the child.

Adoption takes place after a birth.

At this point there is NO child. Only a fetus, and of course daughter could abort.

nextwife

You need to think of your daughter:

Maybe she does not want to become a sister to her child.

Maybe she does not want a daily reminder of the pregnancy. Does not want this child in her family or vacinity.

It is HER child, and her and the father's right to decide what to do. Her life, her future, her pregnancy.

If you are bound and determined that you want an infant to raise, there are tens of thousands of babies out there with no family at all. In my daughter's country there are maybe 10,000 kids in orphanages, for example. You could pursue an adoption of one of them. That is, unless a baby would ONLY be desirable if they have YOUR genes . . . and not worth bothering with otherwise?

Last edited:

Gracie3787

AFTER talking to your daughter about you adopting, and IF she agrees- contact the adoption agency. They will have you fill out lots of papers, you'll need references. They will do a thorough back ground check and a home study.
However, IF your daughter does not agree, you will be unable to adopt.

sunshinefl

What a lot of hostile people I'm dealing with so we'll do it one at a time. First of all a fetus is a child so get out your bible and check and while you're at it be glad your parents didn't abort you. Second of all my daughter has 3 children she left with her husband, one she's aborted and now this one, who yes, is my grandchild, or has the concept of actually being a grandparent escaped those of you who think I just randomly decided I wanted to be a parent again. I have been mom to more children than I have given birth to and each and every one will tell you they're glad to be with us. So according to your responses I'm supposed to just forget this child exists and go on as though it never was part of our world. Since of course it isn't a child yet only a fetus!!!

TinkerBelleLuvr

in the LEGAL world, the fetus is NOT a child YET. Until there is a birth, there is only a fetus. A fetus has NO standings at this time.

You are on a LEGAL forum. If you feel that you need support, then you are free to go to dr.phil.com, or any other site.

The law is the law; it does NOT have feelings.

Last edited:

Gracie3787

What a lot of hostile people I'm dealing with so we'll do it one at a time. First of all a fetus is a child so get out your bible and check and while you're at it be glad your parents didn't abort you. Second of all my daughter has 3 children she left with her husband, one she's aborted and now this one, who yes, is my grandchild, or has the concept of actually being a grandparent escaped those of you who think I just randomly decided I wanted to be a parent again. I have been mom to more children than I have given birth to and each and every one will tell you they're glad to be with us. So according to your responses I'm supposed to just forget this child exists and go on as though it never was part of our world. Since of course it isn't a child yet only a fetus!!!
No one has been hostile. This is a legal advice forum, and like it or not, you recieved the correct legal advice.

Although alot of people, myself included, view a fetus as a child the law is what matters, and the law says that a child does not begin to exist until birth.

In Florida Grandparents do not have any legal rights, so that's why without your daughter's agreement, you will not be able to adopt.

Hot Topic

I'd rate the comment (and variations of it) that we should be glad our parents didn't abort us as one of the most idiotic statements allegedly intelligent people make. If my mother hadn't given birth to me for whatever reason, I wouldn't be around to care one way or the other, now would I.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You call us hostile and post this stuff? You are clueless. We should be thankful we weren't aborted? You should be thankful that we tried to help you even though you are extremely close minded which has resulted in your ignorance.

Isis1

when you take that bible with you to quote in front of the judge, let us know what he said. if my sunday school reading serves me right, it did say follow the law of the land.

and to be blasting out the bible when your daughter had an abortion says she doesn't have the same beliefs as you do. nor does she seem to want these children. i think she is acting responsibly after the act of not preventing the pregnancy to begin with. i seriously get the feeling you are constantly berating your daughter. so all bets say she would never consent to YOU adopting the child when it is born. if you want the goodie goodie gumdrop fun of being a grandparent without the reponsibility of actually being the parent, go start a babysitting service.

VeronicaLodge

and this is the person you raised? nice job! way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">