• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce allocution and stipulation of settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

88acres

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york State. Ny divorce. I have not signed the stipulation of settlement and felt coerced at the allocution. My husband earns $500000 a year and more and I stopped work to help him, and raise now 8 year old son. My husband is bipolar and alcoholc was and is verbally and fiancnially abusive and very shrewd . My lawyer, a women in large firm, never applied for councel fees or supplied discovery on documens i requested. Nowf for 3 month, withholding documents and I cant make a decioson on the STIPULATION of settlement without them. I have not even seen a phone bill. At one point when i questioned her she made a motion to withdraw and then charged me for it . wht are options? What happens if i set it aside. And can i do a Malpractice suit and /or fee dispute.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york State. Ny divorce. I have not signed the stipulation of settlement and felt coerced at the allocution. My husband earns $500000 a year and more and I stopped work to help him, and raise now 8 year old son. My husband is bipolar and alcoholc was and is verbally and fiancnially abusive and very shrewd . My lawyer, a women in large firm, never applied for councel fees or supplied discovery on documens i requested. Nowf for 3 month, withholding documents and I cant make a decioson on the STIPULATION of settlement without them. I have not even seen a phone bill. At one point when i questioned her she made a motion to withdraw and then charged me for it . wht are options? What happens if i set it aside. And can i do a Malpractice suit and /or fee dispute.
Probably not (you can always dispute the fee, but it probably won't get anywhere).

At this point, your best option is to probably find another attorney who will handle your case in a way that you feel is appropriate.

However, without specifics, it's impossible to say if you got a fair deal or not. Maybe she feels like you got a good deal and it's not worth fighting for more. In general, you'd be entitled to half of marital assets. After 8 years, you probably wouldn't get alimony, although you should be getting temporary support while the divorce is pending.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">