• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recording calls and child visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetslumber02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? west virginia

i have been in ongoing battle with my oldests sons father for years.. he is mentally and emotionaly and somewhat physically abusive to me and my son.. our son loves his dad but doesnt want to go there because of the abuse.. me and his father cannot communicate because he just threatens me and says all these nasty things.. My son has recently started going to a therapist because of all the emotional and depression problems.. when we go to the courts and i tell them they egnore me because i guess if i have no proof i could be making it up.. i recentley got a mini tape recorder and i have recorded the harassing and degrating calls.. Im sure it just looks like im a bitter mother but its not so.. my youngest sons father and his new wife and I communicate really great and they are wonderful people.. I guess my question is is recording these conversations legal? and will it help the courts make his straighten up and get some help for hisself and behavior? thanks alot

LdiJ

i have been in ongoing battle with my oldests sons father for years.. he is mentally and emotionaly and somewhat physically abusive to me and my son.. our son loves his dad but doesnt want to go there because of the abuse.. me and his father cannot communicate because he just threatens me and says all these nasty things.. My son has recently started going to a therapist because of all the emotional and depression problems.. when we go to the courts and i tell them they egnore me because i guess if i have no proof i could be making it up.. i recentley got a mini tape recorder and i have recorded the harassing and degrating calls.. Im sure it just looks like im a bitter mother but its not so.. my youngest sons father and his new wife and I communicate really great and they are wonderful people.. I guess my question is is recording these conversations legal? and will it help the courts make his straighten up and get some help for hisself and behavior? thanks alot
The therapist could be someone that could testify in court regarding the problems.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Are you a party to the calls or are these calls between your child and his father?
Have you tried communicating by email? Certified mail? You need proof of everything but you cannot record calls between your ex and his father. If your son is reporting abuse to the therapist, the therapist is required by law to report it. You cannot keep your son from his father if there is a court order. You do realize that don't you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">