• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

character assination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaybechillin007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? maryland /
I was told recently that someone that I have known over a decade but do not have day to day interactions has made several ongoing negative comments about me. I was told that on more then 4 occassions he has said to groups of my peers from my alumini class that I was "gay" and or "bi" sexual. I heard this and said upon hearing that i will give him a call and expected him to say it was a mistake. He begin stumbling on his words and then admitted he had said it but was not the originator of the story. I have been now told by numerous people that he has said this with people from in a forum of 10 or more. I have never ever been "gay or bi". Or with any of the same sex. Is this person that made these comment liable for deflamation of character?

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? maryland /
I was told recently that someone that I have known over a decade but do not have day to day interactions has made several ongoing negative comments about me. I was told that on more then 4 occassions he has said to groups of my peers from my alumini class that I was "gay" and or "bi" sexual. I heard this and said upon hearing that i will give him a call and expected him to say it was a mistake. He begin stumbling on his words and then admitted he had said it but was not the originator of the story. I have been now told by numerous people that he has said this with people from in a forum of 10 or more. I have never ever been "gay or bi". Or with any of the same sex. Is this person that made these comment liable for deflamation of character?
Sure.

What were your monetary damages?

quincy

Monetary damages do not need to be shown in a defamation action, cyjeff. Reputational injury must be.

Actual injury may include an out-of-pocket monetary loss (such as from a lost promotion, a lost job or job opportunity, a lost client), and these losses, to be awarded as damages, must be demonstrated. However, an impairment of one's reputation and standing in the community has no price tag. The value of a reputation is decided in court.

Being called gay is not necessarily defamatory. It is not considered defamatory in all parts of the country, and it may not be defamatory in one part of a state or in one community while being defamatory in another. Whether words are defamatory depend, in large part, on the times and on current public opinion.

Now, if this guy's comments have led to reputational injury of some sort for you, if you have been ridiculed or shunned because of the comments, if he has implied with his comments that you are sexually immoral, if his comments have affected you in your workplace or in your community, then you could potentially have an action worth pursuing.

If you would like to post back with the effects his comments have had on you and your life, then I can give you a better idea if you have any legal action worth considering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">