• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

renting a home that is in short sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sept24

Alabama
We are renting a home and found out 6 weeks after we moved in that the owner was planning on selling it, which I thought was strange that he didn't know he wanted to sell it prior to us renting. Anyway, we rent through a rental agency and pay them and they pay the owner. We have now found out through interent research (not from the rental company) that the house is in short sale. I understand what a short sale is, but is there any recourse we can take to get out of our lease at this time or do we have to wait until the house is sold or forclosed on? If we can find out that the owner was not making payments on this house before we signed our lease, is our lease null and void or could he be in the wrong for renting a house that he was not making payments on and knowing that he was in trouble?
My husband and I just want to move somewhere else and get out of the mess. We're not sure what the rental company will do, but we plan on talking to them and letting them know that we know it's in short sale. Does anyone know how long it stays in short sale before it goes into foreclosure.
Thanks for any info.

ecmst12

There is nothing you can do right now. If the short sale goes through, your lease will be preserved and transfer to the new owner, no problem. It's only if the house is actually forclosed on that your lease will be cancelled. For now, all you can do is wait.

HomeGuru

Alabama
We are renting a home and found out 6 weeks after we moved in that the owner was planning on selling it, which I thought was strange that he didn't know he wanted to sell it prior to us renting. Anyway, we rent through a rental agency and pay them and they pay the owner. We have now found out through interent research (not from the rental company) that the house is in short sale. I understand what a short sale is, but is there any recourse we can take to get out of our lease at this time or do we have to wait until the house is sold or forclosed on? If we can find out that the owner was not making payments on this house before we signed our lease, is our lease null and void or could he be in the wrong for renting a house that he was not making payments on and knowing that he was in trouble?
My husband and I just want to move somewhere else and get out of the mess. We're not sure what the rental company will do, but we plan on talking to them and letting them know that we know it's in short sale. Does anyone know how long it stays in short sale before it goes into foreclosure.
Thanks for any info.
**A: how long is your lease?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">