• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting on debts to friends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjacobs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
While I was in the restaurant business a couple approached me and wanted to take advantage of my buying power with a popular crystal company to supply product to their online store. In exchange they were going to give me a small percentage of the online sales as well as help me setup my own online store. This arrangement went smoothly for almost a year. Although, they never setup my online store and I only got 1 payment for sales during a one week period of time.
The problem arouse during the final transaction. An order of over 4,000 was put on my credit card while I was out of town. They refused half the order because the company misquoted the price and wouldn't honor the original price they quoted when the product was ordered. Half the order was still accepted and they took the product and sold it on their site. When it came time to pay the bill they said they were still haggling with the company over the amount of money they would be responsible for. After a month of not getting any money from them I put a dispute on my credit card.
At this point I got involved and pushed to get all the money that was due to be credited by the company on my card. This has taken over 6 months. During this time I have not received any money from the couple. They stated that sometimes these disputes end in the company not being able to charge anything so they wanted to wait. I told them they had product that they were selling so that in itself made it necessary to pay.
Now I cannot get them to return an email or phone call.
Do I have any legal leg to stand on? I have only an email trail from them stating they owe the money. At one point nearly 6 months ago they agreed to bring me a check. I have that in an email.
:mad:Rebecca Jacobs

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
While I was in the restaurant business a couple approached me and wanted to take advantage of my buying power with a popular crystal company to supply product to their online store. In exchange they were going to give me a small percentage of the online sales as well as help me setup my own online store. This arrangement went smoothly for almost a year. Although, they never setup my online store and I only got 1 payment for sales during a one week period of time.
The problem arouse during the final transaction. An order of over 4,000 was put on my credit card while I was out of town. They refused half the order because the company misquoted the price and wouldn't honor the original price they quoted when the product was ordered. Half the order was still accepted and they took the product and sold it on their site. When it came time to pay the bill they said they were still haggling with the company over the amount of money they would be responsible for. After a month of not getting any money from them I put a dispute on my credit card.
At this point I got involved and pushed to get all the money that was due to be credited by the company on my card. This has taken over 6 months. During this time I have not received any money from the couple. They stated that sometimes these disputes end in the company not being able to charge anything so they wanted to wait. I told them they had product that they were selling so that in itself made it necessary to pay.
Now I cannot get them to return an email or phone call.
Do I have any legal leg to stand on? I have only an email trail from them stating they owe the money. At one point nearly 6 months ago they agreed to bring me a check. I have that in an email.
:mad:Rebecca Jacobs
**A: you failed to state the amount of your claim. In any case you need to file an action in small claims or regular claims court. Action = lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">