• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LL breaks verbal agreement prior to signing lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe2001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hello - I was planning to rent a house to several renters. I showed them the house and we agreed verbally that (1) we would sign the written lease later in the month and (2) that they could move in early December. We have not collected a security deposit. They are good guys and we wanted to rent them the place, but I learned that we have to take the house off the rental market.

While we had not signed the lease nor had we collected a deposit from them, we did tell them verbally they could rent the location. We have since informed them that the property is off the rental market. Are we liable for anything?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hello - I was planning to rent a house to several renters. I showed them the house and we agreed verbally that (1) we would sign the written lease later in the month and (2) that they could move in early December. We have not collected a security deposit. They are good guys and we wanted to rent them the place, but I learned that we have to take the house off the rental market.

While we had not signed the lease nor had we collected a deposit from them, we did tell them verbally they could rent the location. We have since informed them that the property is off the rental market. Are we liable for anything?
**A: how long was the written lease to be good for?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The REASON you aren't renting to them after all *may* come in to play. But, if your decision is not based on some illegal reason, then you should be fine.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
**A: then you are not liable for anything since the VA statutes of frauds dictate that a lease of real estate over a year must be in writing to be enforceable.
Well, actually, it's even more simple than that. There was no contract formed in the first place, since it was still being negotiated ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">