• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

army_wife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
My sister recently had a child that she left at the hospital under the Safe Haven law; upon finding this out my mother inquired about getting the child and the social worker told her that there would be a hearing the following day but the only individuals that needed to be there were the parents of the infant so she didnt show up. My mother followed up with the individual a few days later and he is advising her to retain an attorney. We need to know what our options are as far as getting custody of the child and what avenues should we pursue to do this. We really don't have the money to hire an attorney but are willing to do whatever is necessary to get the child and keep him out of foster care. I or my mother would like to get the child but don't know what to do as I live in Hawaii and she lives in KY; which is also where this case takes place. Any advice?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
My sister recently had a child that she left at the hospital under the Safe Haven law; upon finding this out my mother inquired about getting the child and the social worker told her that there would be a hearing the following day but the only individuals that needed to be there were the parents of the infant so she didnt show up. My mother followed up with the individual a few days later and he is advising her to retain an attorney. We need to know what our options are as far as getting custody of the child and what avenues should we pursue to do this. We really don't have the money to hire an attorney but are willing to do whatever is necessary to get the child and keep him out of foster care. I or my mother would like to get the child but don't know what to do as I live in Hawaii and she lives in KY; which is also where this case takes place. Any advice?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your mother has the strongest shot at custody and I would definitely advise that she have an attorney if at all possible. If the whole family contributes to the cost of the attorney, it may be more feasible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">