• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pan17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I and tenant and signed the lease for 1 year.I stay in NJ. My lease will end in 2009 april. My landlord has security deposit . I want to move from this apartment due to personal reasons and water leaks from the ceiling in the living room.

Even though the roof was repaired it leaks when rain heavily pours.

when I told landlord that i wanted to move in Jan'09, he asked me to pay amount for rest of the lease. is there any way I break the lease without paying any amount?

Gail in Georgia

Not likely. You have an obligation to again report the ceiling/roof leak issue and your landlord has the obligation to fix this.

However, personal issues are typically not a valid reason for breaking a lease without incurring financial penalties.

Gail

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I and tenant and signed the lease for 1 year.I stay in NJ. My lease will end in 2009 april. My landlord has security deposit . I want to move from this apartment due to personal reasons and water leaks from the ceiling in the living room.

Even though the roof was repaired it leaks when rain heavily pours.

when I told landlord that i wanted to move in Jan'09, he asked me to pay amount for rest of the lease. is there any way I break the lease without paying any amount?
**A: the answer is no. Read the NJ L/T law for your legal remedies. It'a all there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">